LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

excel report generation does not exit excel

Solved!
Go to solution

I am having the same issue still with LabView 2019, Windows 10, and Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus version 1803.

I have attached a vi that demonstrates the issues. I can open an excel template, save it with a new name, and then dispose of the report, and I will still be left with an Excel entry in the Details page of Task Manager. 

This is an issue, because until I manually end the task, i can not open the excel file I just created to edit, I see the pop up message below.

Any help solving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

image.png

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 33
(705 Views)

@tkrallman wrote:

I am having the same issue still with LabView 2019, Windows 10, and Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus version 1803.

I have attached a vi that demonstrates the issues. I can open an excel template, save it with a new name, and then dispose of the report, and I will still be left with an Excel entry in the Details page of Task Manager. 

My system is similar, but I'm using 365 ProPlus Version 1909 (don't think that makes a difference).  When I open your VI, I have a "broken Arrow" on Save Report to File, a well-known issue (many reports/solutions in this Forum) due to a change that Microsoft made to Excel in (I think) Office 2016.  The fix involves finding the two-levels-down broken Excel_Save_Workbook.vi, open its Block Diagram, right-click the Workbook "SaveAs" Method, and choose "Relink".

Once I fixed this, I ran your program.  When I finished, I clicked on the Test.xls output, it opened immediately, and everything was fine.  I also tried it with the Diagram Disable code changed to actually write entries into the Excel output -- works like a charm.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 33
(687 Views)

I remember fixing that issue with the broken subvi in the Excel_Save_Workbook when I upgraded from LV2017 to LV2019 and made the jump from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I also made a modification in that same subvi to add a case for .xlsm files. 

I downloaded zip and tried it again myself, and still have the same issue. No broken arrows, an excel reference still left open in Task Manager, and a locked excel file.

Not sure what else I can do, other than command prompt and kill the excel instance, which I would like to avoid since that would close any other instance of excel my user would have open.

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 33
(677 Views)