LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ethernet-Fluke and Arlyn scales

Friends,

I am facing a situation for which I appreciate any help from LabVIEW experts.I have a FLUKE 2680data logging system whihc is communicating with my computer throught ethernet port. There are two DAQs and thus there is a router in between the DAQ and computer which runs LabVIEW. Now I have an Arlyn scale for measuring the weight which also communicates through ethernet. My plan is to connect the scale also to the router. My question here is how to configure LabVIEW to get the reading from scale in such a setup? I am doing the ethernet communication for the first time and thus am kind of confused. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Sankar

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,276 Views)

The first question is if you weren't using LabVIEW, how would you communicate with the scale?  Do they provide software?  Do they provide a driver?  Does it behave like a virtual serial port, or some other method?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,262 Views)

Hi Ravens,

Thanks for the reply. Yes the manufacturer do provide a software. I tried to call them and ask if they provide LV drivers, but couldn't get hold of the guy. From my understanding and the one page set up directions(!!), it seems like the instrument is going to behave as a virtual serial port.

Thanks

Sankar

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,257 Views)

Check with the manufacturer and see if they have any more detailed instructions besides the 1 page setup instructions.  Hopefully they would provide something that lists commands and responses from the instrument.  If not, use their software and monitor what is going on using a program like Portmon.

Even if they don't have LabVIEW drivers, if they have any better instructions, it should be possible to do your own communication process within LabVIEW.  Start with the Basic Serial Read/Write examples.  You will open a serial port and communicate with it using the VISA drivers from within LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,244 Views)

Hi,

I do not know if this can help you ... but

The manual about all Serial RS-232 command of your Arlyn scale:http://www.arlynscales.com/v/vspfiles/templates/90/images/new/software/pdf/options-manual.pdf

To communicate with this scale I used the software Bill Redirect from the company Bill Production ... here a cool step by step tutorial to communicate with your Arlyn scale: http://www.billproduction.com/Bill_Redirect_scale.pdf

Good luck !

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,017 Views)