From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

esd of linear fit

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

I have some "simple" questions.

I am trying to fit a straight line, I have done this many times in the past. However for this data (see below) Igor gives me a slope of 254.3 +/- 11.6

In labview, see attached vi, with the same data I get 254.3 (ok !)  with delta slope = 0

Why delta slope is "0" ? As one can see from the data, there is some space between lower and upper limits.

Also, is there a labview vi that gives the slope and the esd of the slope if X and Y arrays have some esd ? (I suspect "ponderation" is to be used, but it is not to me clear how exactly )

thanks for any idea

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,196 Views)

An interesting question/problem.  I tried it, and tried playing with it, and learned some things (always a good thing!).  Here are some observations:

• You are using the "standard model" of fitting data where X (the independent variable) is assumed to be known, and Y is the "unknown" measured quantity with some variability.
  • Your data are "unsorted in X", which should make no difference when estimating slopes, but definitely affects plotting (as I'm sure you realized when your Plot 0 had "funny lines", fixed by plotting them as points).  This may also have an impact when you plot the Confident Bounds.
  • Your data look like they fit a quadratic better than a linear function.  I was surprised to see that the Upper and Lower bounds did not "contain" the data points in your plot, but did in mine.  Then I noticed I left the default Confidence Interval at 95% -- when I narrowed it as you did, I got your fit.
  • Note that you plot the Bounds as lines, but they are also unsorted, so the "lines" may be doubled in places.  Points are safer.
  • So why is Delta-Slope zero?  [Delta-Intercept is not zero.]  I don't know, but I'll try to find out on Monday.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,169 Views)

Hi

Thanks for your answer. The order of the arrays is not important (just funny for graphing), anyway I ordered them.

Note that RMSE is not 0 though (see modified version)

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,165 Views)

I can't "see" inside the code NI is using, so I'm uncertain as to the reason for this value.  One (strong) possibility is that with only 5 points, there are not enough data to make a sensible estimate of the upper and lower limit for a linear fit.  Try generating a 10-point set and see if that gives you a reasonable number.  Two points determine an "exact" line, three allow you to have "error", but if you want to put a measure on the Error, you need more than a single sample (which means more points) ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,159 Views)

Hi

Thanks for yuour answer, althtough I don't agree with it. Matthematically, even with 3 points one can calculate a esd of a slope (it has one degree of libherty). Igor and Origin can calculate that, why not LV ???

Anyway, I put 2 more points :

Igor gives a slope of 279.07 with 16.1 esd

LV gives 287. with delta 4.9 E-17 !! (Funny thing, the intercept and its delta is similar for both programs !)

What I am doing wrong ? I have calculate slopes before in LV and all was OK.

For testing with my data, I attached the code here.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,147 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author nitad54448

You are running into conditioning problems, because your inputs are poorly scaled. Multiply your x-values with 1E9 and you get a nonzero value and then calculate the scaled value back later. (And no, higher order polynomial would make conditioning even worse (e.g. ~1e-18 for the quadratic terms).

betterscaling.png

Message 6 of 7
(2,134 Views)

Hi

That must be it. Thanks !

(Just a thought : how come Igor -treating the same data- does not have the same conditioning problem ?? Maybe they are adjusting the X values internally ?)

Anyway, that solves my problem

thanks again

N

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,129 Views)