LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error saving for previous version 2009 to 8.5

I have a project with a VI containing DAQmx Data Acquisition VIs, timed loops and other standard conrols and indicators.  When trying to save for previous version (from LV2009 to LV8.5) an error occurs.  All of the dependencies can be saved to previous versions but the main VI cannot.  Can anyone help with this problem?

The error message can be seen in the image attached.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,503 Views)

This problem appeared recently at

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&thread.id=444592

It's a known problem.

If you have 8.6, a possible workround may be to save for 8.6, then in 8.6 save for 8.5.

NI are working on it. CAR#: 183005

Rod.

Message 2 of 14
(3,493 Views)
I just found this. Is there a way to have a project globally resave to files in the old format? Is there a way to set the default format to the old format?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,472 Views)

Steve,

File -> Save for previous version.

Save the top level Vi and everything in it will (should) get saved for the version you have selected.

BUT.... make sure you have a backup of it, and have saved everything else open (at rev 2009), because of the bug linked to elsewhere on this thread

Rod.

Message Edited by Rod on 15/10/2009 15:31.. 03:31 PM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,453 Views)

I tried it, but it does not work well. It makes me save the files to a completely different location and also has trouble finding some support files. Is there is way to save as a previous version without having to create new files. I can manually back everything up.

Also, is there a way to set the default so everything that I save is automatically saved in 8.5? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,446 Views)

Backsaving creates a folder structure with the backsaved VI and all support files in their relative locations. This might be useful in most cases.

Very often I just need a single VI (without SubVIs) backsaved. I do this programmatically using VI server (open VI reference, then call the "Save For Previous" method, then close the reference). See image below.

To do this for a project you could of course use a recursive file list and go through the whole list (programmatically), saving the VIs in a parallel folder structure (create destination folder before saving the VI).

Save for previous

Message 6 of 14
(3,440 Views)
But how can I configure my project to automatically save everything in 8.5 instead of 9.0? It would be nice if NI eventually decides on a single file format and keeps it the same.
Message Edited by Steve Block on 10-15-2009 11:28 AM
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,433 Views)

Hi Steve,

If you are using LabVIEW 9.0 you can't automatically save everything in 8.5. Can you not just open your VI's in 8.5, then edit and save them there?

Thanks alot,

Owen.S
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,410 Views)
I'm experiencing major problems with version compatibility and need this feature. If you could please consider adding this to any future software versions it would be great. I have already submitted a product suggestion that you standardize the vi format.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,394 Views)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your suggestion, I will look into it. Placing a post on the product suggestion page is the right step if you would like something in our software changed.

Owen.S
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,368 Views)