LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error "type of the sink is void"

Solved!
Go to solution

I just made an edit to a sub-vi to move in input terminal. The control is a cluster type-def of 33 elements. All that was done was to disconnect the terminal in the sub-vi connector pane, and move it to a different connector. Now when I try to rewire to the sub-vi I get a broken wire and an error message "You have connected two terminals of different types. The type of the source is typedef 'Blah.ctl" cluster of 33 elements. The type of the sink is void. This occurs even if I click on the sub-vi's terminal from the higher vi and "create a control". The control is correctly created, but the wire is broken with this error message. Oddly, if I go to the sub-vi, create and identical control, wire it to the open terminal, the problem at the higher level is resolved. I tried changing the connector pane selection, forcing a relink, no joy. I also tried saving everything and restarting LabVIEW (v 2010 on WinXP), got a "there was an error the last time LabVIEW was run (fpsane) do ou want to troubleshoot. Did I get a "silent" insane error corrupting the sub-vi?

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,046 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LV_Pro

"Never Mind" Seems I have fixed it, although not sure how. I added the second terminal, it didn't fix it. Restarted LabVIEW, no error message on startup. When I opened the broken vi the original broken wire was no longer there, but there was still a broken arrow. Clicking on it showed a "phantom wire" connected from the most recently added input (added only to try and duplicate an earlier "fix") wired to a unallocated terminal. Haven't seen that before.

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,039 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,025 Views)

Well, the input appeared in the "show" connections, when looking at the vi from the higher level, appeared to be connected internally (was the approproate color), would produce the appropriate typedef control when right clicked and "create control", which would then have a broken wire from it to the sub-vi. Really odd, don't think I can reproduce it either, although I don't have any time to try at the moment.

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,018 Views)