LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error -2147319779 in ActiveX

Hello Experts, i am receiving this error, -2147319779 in all my vi's that i had downloaded previously. These VIs have been used over and over lot of times by me in the same vi, and i have never faced this error.

The figure attached shows error for OpenXL_App.vi.

However, I have seen this error for excel used range.vi, specifically in automation-open function. I have attached the excel used range.vi for the reference also.

Can anyone please tell me what could have changed/or went wrong.

I have used these vi's in the past, and they were perfectly working!! I changed something somewhere, and its not letting me sleep now!!!:manmad:

Now on LabVIEW 10.0 on Win7
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,850 Views)

Why are you closing the Workbooks reference ?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,840 Views)

Is the Excel version the same as before?

EDIT: You should probe to see which property is generating the error. To follow NYC comment, generally you should close the references in opposite order as they appear.

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,830 Views)

Hello nyc.

i did not write this VI, i found this online, and it has been working for me for few years, however, suddenly, i am getting this error. 

ben64, yes i am using the same versin of excel as before.

on other hand, what should be the correct approach of this vi? Can anyone please help, i have no clue how ActiveX works 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,800 Views)

Same LabVIEW version as before? Same OS version as before? Is it running on the same PC?

One thing you can try is to reselect the ActiveX object class. Right-click on Excel._Application control and select Select ActiveX class -> Browse ...

Using the drop down menu select the Microsoft Excel Object Library (your version may be different than the one in the following picture), check Show Creatable Objects Only and select Application and press OK. Do the same thing for the Excel._Worksheet control.

Ben64

ScreenShot005.png

If it doen't work you can have a look at this link.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,793 Views)

@ben64 wrote:

Same LabVIEW version as before? Same OS version as before? Is it running on the same PC?

I have found using ActiveX is unreliable at best it will work on one system and not work on an identical system.

I spent weeks with NI support troubleshooting a similar issue with using their own ActiveX Excel examples, even conversed with the NI Engineer that wrote them

We all came to the same conclusion, ActiveX is unreliable at best due to some minor differences buried in some obscure Windows location.

I have since abandoned ActiveX all together.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,785 Views)
The problem isn't with ActiveX, the problem is EXCEL. Microsoft keeps rewriting the interface in non compatible ways. Keep ActiveX, trash Excel...

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,777 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:
The problem isn't with ActiveX, the problem is EXCEL. Microsoft keeps rewriting the interface in non compatible ways. Keep ActiveX, trash Excel...

Mike...

Sure, you get corperate America to agree and I will be right behind you.

But back to the origonal topic. I recomend you look into the XLR8 toolkit http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/212056

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,758 Views)

All,

Thanks for the inputs, i will try that today, and keep you all updated

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,751 Views)

Hi,

I know, that this is an two year old topic but since I stumbled upon the same issue here and have not been able to find a valid solution until now I hope that I can help any other poor soul who came across the same issue:

Source of my solution: http://kb.palisade.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=528

the gist is:

every installed Excel-Version, which have been installed may have left faulty registry-entries here:

hkey_local_machine/software/classes/typeLib/{00020813-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}/

• 1.5 for Excel 2003.
  • 1.6 for Excel 2007.
  • 1.7 for Excel 2010.
  • 1.8 for Excel 2013.
  • 1.9 for Excel 2016.

Delete all except for the entry matching your current Excel Version and be happy about a working ActiveX with Excel again.

Works for my Labview 2012 SP1 32bit, Win7 64bit and Excel 2010 32bit

Hope that helps!

Message 10 of 14
(4,173 Views)