LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

echo in sound output

Solved!
Go to solution
I made simple VI which takes sound input through microphone and gives out the same as output from speakers. But in the output i am getting echo of the input sound whose amplitude keeps on increasing. not been able to get to the problem. Please help. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,996 Views)
Solution
Accepted by rocky3015
This is well known as acoustic feedback. Read more about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_feedback

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,988 Views)

Without looking at your code, it sounds like an audio feedback issue. Try using headphones instead of speakers and see if it behaves then.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,986 Views)

Looks like Coq beat me to it whilst I was typing.

Coq- one of these days I'm going to take a picture of my neighbors roosters. The one called Einsten reminds me of your signature.

-AK2DM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,985 Views)
Thanks. That explains the echo in the output. But how do i avoid it, while using speakers. If i use headphones, then there will be no echo but what to do if i use speakers?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,967 Views)

Coq- one of these days I'm going to take a picture of my neighbors roosters. The one called Einsten reminds me of your signature.

-AK2DM

It would be a great honour. Meanwhile I will plod on. Although I whish someone not had said "give that cock a dollar and he will walk forever"  

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,953 Views)

rocky:

What is the physical layout of your system? You could use a directional microphone and keep it pointed away from the speakers. Or rotate your speakers away from the microphone.

Also keep the speaker volume down.

-AK2DM

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,946 Views)

I am using a laptop, so I have both microphone and speakers on the same system. Is there any way, with this arrangement, the problem of echo can be tackled?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,936 Views)

The question to be asked is what are you really trying to do?  Why do you want to take the input from the microphone and put it out of the speakers?  Especially on a laptop.  The only normal use case if is if you are trying to amplify a sound.  Just like a speaker at a presenations using a microphone, amplifier, and speakers to make sure the people in the back can hear him.  And what happens when he walks with the microphone in front of the speakers?  An annoying loud screeching sound that is known as feedback.  Solution, he quickly moves away from the speakers.

So why do you want a laptop to amplify the sound coming into its microphone?  What is the point?  You certainly can't move the microphone from the speakers, so you either have to lower the volume, or just not do whatever it is you are trying to do.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,933 Views)
I am trying to build an application for transmitting sound from one PC to another using LabVIEW platform, over TCP. Before doing that i was testing sound input and output over my laptop, when this problem cropped up, to which i couldn't find a reason. Anyways, in my application microphone and speakers would be far placed, so i would not be having this problem. Thanks for the explanation.

Coming to the original application, even that doesn't seem to work. I have listed out error in my earlier post "datasocket VI at client side just stops". I would be grateful if you could provide solution to that. I have also attached the VIs in that post for you to test. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,929 Views)