LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

duplicate LabVIEW project on brand new laptop

We have a LabVIEW project which uses about 6-7 LabVIEW instrument drivers.

In the past, following the install of LabVIEW, I would install the instrument drivers manually.

Is there an easier way?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,646 Views)

@njacacia wrote:

In the past, following the install of LabVIEW, I would install the instrument drivers manually.

Is there an easier way?

For as long as I have used LabVIEW (I'm a relative "newbie", starting with LabVIEW 7.0), LabVIEW has been distributed as "LabVIEW, Toolkits, and Modules" (in one set of CD/DVDs) and as "National Instruments Drivers" (as another set).  With the new Flash Drives, everything is together, but the Drivers are still "together at the end".

I've always installed the Drivers "manually", which lets me choose Drivers for the hardware I need, and know I'm getting the current release, tested (one presumes) with the version of LabVIEW that it accompanies.

What is the "problem" you are trying to solve?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,633 Views)

Hi njacacia,

when you talk about those "instrument drivers" found on IDNet, which only use VISA, I would go a different way:

- put those drivers in your user.lib

- use a SCC tool of your choice to store all your LabVIEW projects and your the user.lib

- when setting up a new PC you simply extract the current version from your SCC system…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,621 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi njacacia,

when you talk about those "instrument drivers" found on IDNet, which only use VISA, I would go a different way:

- put those drivers in your user.lib

- use a SCC tool of your choice to store all your LabVIEW projects and your the user.lib

- when setting up a new PC you simply extract the current version from your SCC system…

These instrument drivers are not all found on IDNet.

I have just started here on Monday, and I am trying to replicate a former developer's laptop. He basically trashed the laptop to the point where LabVIEW was taking 2+ minutes to load on a laptop with a SSD and i7 cpu.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,603 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

@njacacia wrote:

Is there an easier way?

For as long as I have used LabVIEW (I'm a relative "newbie", starting with LabVIEW 7.0), LabVIEW has been distributed as "LabVIEW, Toolkits, and Modules" (in one set of CD/DVDs) and as "National Instruments Drivers" (as another set).  With the new Flash Drives, everything is together, but the Drivers are still "together at the end".

I've always installed the Drivers "manually", which lets me choose Drivers for the hardware I need, and know I'm getting the current release, tested (one presumes) with the version of LabVIEW that it accompanies.

What is the "problem" you are trying to solve?

Bob Schor

I am trying to figure if there is a quicker way to replicate a new laptop for a new engineer that would join the group.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,600 Views)

Hi njacacia,

when those instrument drivers have to be installed (as they require DLLs or similar), then you need to install them with their setup routine…

Everything else should belong into a SCC system! Don't forget things like LabVIEW.ini, VI icon templates/library, special probes…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,595 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Everything else should belong into a SCC system! Don't forget things like LabVIEW.ini, VI icon templates/library, special probes…

Version control is going to be way down the road.

The fact that the laptop was a mess and had to be re-imaged, and that I will be spending at least 2 weeks trying to figure out what he had is a major pain in the neck. Sigh.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,591 Views)

@njacacia wrote:

Version control is going to be way down the road.

No, you really need to move that up in your process.  It will save you weeks of time in a relatively short time.  Once you get the mess figured out, put it into SCC.

As far as installing other drivers, if there is an installer use it.  If they are just simple libraries that use VISA or are just VIs (no DLL), then look into using VI Package Manager (VIPM) to build your drivers into packages that are then very simple to install through VIPM.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,568 Views)