LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dsc Configure Alarming.vi - long execution time!

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a ~400 count variable application with DSC/Shared Variable Engine running.

Calling Configured Alarming.vi (DSC Engine Control Palette) to turn all the alarms off takes about 30-50 seconds to process through the list of variables.  In old DSC you used to be able to set <ALL> I believe.  Is there an equivalent for this function when using SVE or do I have to process through the variables one at a time?

I tried feeding only the \\hostname\LibraryProcess\ to the VI, but it didn't like that.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
Senior Systems Analyst II
NASA Ames Research Center
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,737 Views)

RVallieu,

Which version DSC are you referring to? And what does your code currently look like? Are you feeding the function shared variable addresses through an indexing for loop?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,697 Views)

Oops sorry, I always tend to forget to include the version I am working with.  This is LabVIEW 2014, DSC 2014

Yes, I am feeding the array of Shared Variables (Purple Wire) into an auto-indexing For Loop to set the channels alarming to enabled/disabled.  I got a warning when investigating if I could parallelize the VI sayins the subVI in the loop may not support parallel operation - tried it anyway setting up 4 for the P parameter and automatic letting LabVIEW choose - no increase in speed was observed.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,677 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RVallieu

RVallieu,

Looks like you have been trying the correct steps. I talked to our R&D team, and there unfortunately isn't any hidden option to enable/disable alarms in bulk. There is, however, a better way to do it that might be a bit faster. Check this community example out. It sets alarming characteristics one-by-one and then commits them at the same time, which is more efficient.

Otherwise, there really isn't any good way to speed it up. 400 shared variables is a lot to handle.  

Message 4 of 5
(2,657 Views)

Wow, that was an impressive increase in speed!

Thanks for that - I am surprised I couldn't find that note on my own when searching for the topic.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,628 Views)