From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drive ABB 550 with labview for windtunnel

hello,

i am in internship in Canada and i have to control the air flow speed with labview. To control the motor of  the wind tunnel i have a ABB ACS550 drive with  a RETA 01 to connect it by ethernet. As i have never used labview before and i am not specialized in electronic and system command i would like to know if someone can help me. I don't know how to link by ethernet and don't know wich module i have to use in matlab.

thanks for your answer ( Please notice that i am a french student with some difficulties with the english language)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,652 Views)

@robin123456 wrote:

hello,

i am in internship in Canada and i have to control the air flow speed with labview. To control the motor of  the wind tunnel i have a ABB ACS550 drive with  a RETA 01 to connect it by ethernet. As i have never used labview before and i am not specialized in electronic and system command i would like to know if someone can help me. I don't know how to link by ethernet and don't know wich module i have to use in matlab.

thanks for your answer ( Please notice that i am a french student with some difficulties with the english language)

Matlab?

I would suggest reading the documentation on the ABB ACS550 drive to see how one controls it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,641 Views)

sorry i would like to say Labview and not matlab

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,632 Views)

@robin123456 wrote:

sorry i would like to say Labview and not matlab

And?

Were you expecting someone to do your work?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,629 Views)

No i am just expecting some help to drive me for the first steps. If you don't want to help me it's your choice and it's respectable but please don't repply this kind of phrase. I know that's my work is pretty simple for the majority of labview's user but as i said i am a beginner. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,623 Views)

Intens, please don't be rude, we're here to help each other. As for you Robin I would advise you to first read the documentation available for the ABB 550. What is the exact interface you must use to communicate with it? Are you using any sort of driver? For example I am currently working with a couple servomotors that use Kollmorgen drivers that communicate via TCP/IP but the protocol is MODBUS, which required a small addon for LabView. The documentation must provide you with either a way to implement a control loop via an analog variable, such as voltage or current, or set a fixed speed via a command. Also, what is your experience with LabView? Why choose it to do the control? What's the extent of the project?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,603 Views)

Hello,

By reading one more time the user's manual i found some informations as how to configure the macro to obtain a PID controller on the driver ACS550. The next step will be to configure the comunication between drive and the the computer by ethernet. I got a Reta 01 from ABB too to do it. i think i have to tu use the Modbus but i don't really know how to use it. If i can get assistance about that I'd greatly appreciate it.

This is the first time that i use labview, my tutor want to pilot the air flow speed of the wind tunnel directly on the computer by Labview. It will permit to have a better accuracy. Currently we just use a potentiometer to define the current and so, the engine's rpm.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,565 Views)

If the air speed is controller by the engine's RPMs, which is controlled by current, then you just need to add a control in LabVIEW that allows you to move current up and down (or type in a new value). The page I linked to below includes some information on using the Front Panel in LabVIEW and the different types of controls available. You will want this current control to be tied to the current input of the function or subVI that controls your engine. 

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/7566/en/

-Will

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,508 Views)

If you are going to need to use MODBUS it is almost certain you will need the same addon I used, which can be found here:

http://www.ni.com/example/29756/en/

It has a few examples and it's overall very easy to install and use, just be sure to interface correctly with the registers. Also be sure to keep the MODBUS read and write at a low speed (roughly 5 times a second) because most interfaces can't take a high speed without data loss and errors.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,501 Views)