LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dot matrix display

Hello everybody,

I am trying to get started on using a dot matrix display to display text and then maybe scrolling text, and then maybe finally display live text for example sport scores or stock tickers, etc.  

The end game would be to have a dot matrix display from Avago Technologies HCMS-2921 CMOS 5x7 Alphanumeric Display running on an Arduino Mega ADK.  I am not sure if I am allowed to post or paste in links but a search for Avago HCMS-2921 brings up the datasheet.  

I started out in the LabVIEW forum and not hardware, as I believe my problem, or what I am struggling with is what code or modules to use in LabVIEW to get this started?  I already have written some LabVIEW to make an LED flash on the Arduino board so I beilieve I have a grasp on how to get LabView to the Ardunio, but again I am not grabbing hold of how to get information to the display inorder to display something.

Thank you,

Tim

Student in MN

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,492 Views)

You can't program an Arduino using LabVIEW.

Just use the correct Arduino library to display on your LED.

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_LedDisplay.html

Coding for Arduino is described here.

http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/HomePage

What you need to do is start with one of their serial examples that reads strings from the serial port. Then combine this with one of the examples using the LED display to have it display the string you send.

From there you can write a simple LV program to create the strings of scrolling text to send- the labVIEW end we can help with, but it is pointless until you get the Arduino end functional.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,476 Views)

Thanks for the help, and links.  I have printed them and am starting to wire it up.  It looks like it is pretty much what I am looking for.

I think I miss spoke about LabVIEW, I am not trying to program the Ardunio with LabVIEW, but interface with the HCMS display through an Ardunio board with LabVIEW.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,433 Views)