From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does anyone know how to calculate the impedance using waveforms

does anyone know how to calculate the impedance using waveforms?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 28
(4,172 Views)

What do the waveforms represent?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 28
(4,151 Views)

the waveforms represent the voltage and current values across a capacitive load. I am trying to find out if there is a way to do automatic calculations using the inputs from the waveforms

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 28
(4,145 Views)

You would need to know both the Voltage and the Current wavforms.  From there, it is V/I = R.  If you need actual impedance (which has resistance and reactance parts), then you get into fun with complex math.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 28
(4,139 Views)

@studentproject wrote:

the waveforms represent the voltage and current values across a capacitive load. I am trying to find out if there is a way to do automatic calculations using the inputs from the waveforms

Hopefully a single sinusoid tone.  Otherwise things get really interesting.  Also know that impedance is based on the frequency.  I'll have to dig into this again.  I have not had to calculate an impedance in well over 10 years.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 28
(4,133 Views)

Can the program do the measurements on the computer?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 28
(4,131 Views)

@studentproject wrote:

It can do whatever you program it to do except tell you your requirements.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 28
(4,126 Views)

@studentproject wrote:

Once you have the waveform measured, it is just a calculation. Do you also need help with the measurement of the waveforms?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 28
(4,124 Views)

I found out how to measure the waveforms. I'm working on a project for school, the teacher wants me to use the waveforms themselves as an input for the impedance calculations, in order to get the proper phase angle on the current in order to determine the impedance in the circuit. I understand the math behind it for plugging in values myself but I haven't been able to find a way in order to use the waveforms themselves as opposed to the amplitudes measured. I am just trying to find out if there is actually a way to use the waveforms themselves or if I would need to use a formula node to set up all the calculations needed and just plug the values in by hand.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 28
(4,118 Views)

The waveforms you have simply contain the voltage and current values to be used in the calculations.  If you understand the math and can do the calculation using other means (excel or a sheet of paper) then  all you have to do is impliment the same math operations in LabVIEW.  I don't understand where you are having a problem.  Is it in understanding what a waveform is? or is your issue in realizing the math operations?

Perhaps if you re-phrase your question.  

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 28
(4,091 Views)