From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

divert sound out to a file

I have a labview program which creates sounds and writes them to the sound output device.  Everything works fine.  Now I wish to capture the sounds going to the sound output device (including silence between writes) to a file.

To make life simple I acquired a utility program called Wiretap Pro which just captures all sound going to the speakers and writes it to a file.  Unfortunately, the results are not satisfactory.  I have two programs battling for the processor and the result is a significant slowing down of the sound generation and a lot of jitter.

It would be nice if I could use O.S. functions to simply divert the output stream to a file as you can do in Unix but I don't see how to do that either in Windows or MacOS. 

So I would like to do a Labview solution.  I notice that SI config has a parameter called buffer size and the examples show writing from that buffer to a wav file.  But I don't have an input stream;  all of my sounds are generated from within the program. 

Does anybody have any ideas?

David

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,954 Views)

Some sound cards allow you to route the output to the input in the hardware. This is done  in control panel->sound->sound recording. The setting is named "What u hear"  at least in windows XP. Try Google and search for "what u hear windows 7" or "what u hear windows" for more info

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,949 Views)