LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

device recognized by VISA, seen in Labview but not seen in MAX

I am using Tektronix DPO7104.

When I generate a control to initialize communication with the equipment, I see the device id in the drop-down list in Labview. I also have the "Find VISA resource" vi find the device address for me. I am not able to locate that equipment in MAX for some reason.

I have the default TekVISA installed on the machine, but not running in the background while running MAX. (I am not sure if I had to mention this to add confusion)

Is there a reason why I am not able to find the equipment in MAX?

I have attached the screenshot of NI Spy for review. The equipment I am concerned about has address of GPIB8::1::INSTR

I would appreciate any help I recieve on this. I have come across a situation like this for the first time.

Thanks,

Nevil

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,724 Views)
I forgot the NI Spy screen capture
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,721 Views)

Hey nevil,

What version of TekVISA do you have? Do you also have the NI-VISA driver installed? I believe that if you only have the TekVISA driver installed, then you won't be able to use MAX to communicate/access the instrument. Both NI-VISA and TekVISA are interoperable, with differences in configuration and troubleshooting utilities. I'd suggest possibly uninstalling TekVISA and (re)installing NI-VISA to try and see your instrument in MAX.
Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,685 Views)

Hi Justin,

I have 3.3.0.14 version of TekVISA installed. I will try doing what you have suggested, but the funny part is I am facing this problem on only one machine. On the others I see the scope listed under "Unknown Devices" in MAX.

The version of NI VISA I have installed is 3.4.0.49152

Thanks,

Nevil

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,674 Views)

Hey Nevil,

Are there any differences in the setups of your machines? Is the machine that has the problem set up the exact same (as far as drivers and NI/Tektronix software goes) as the machine that doesn't have this issue? I would also suggest upgrading your NI-VISA driver to the latest version, which is version 4.5. The NI-VISA drivers can be found from this page : http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/fn/p/sn/n23:1640/lang/en 

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,653 Views)

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your feedback. The upgrade of visa version did it. I see the scope listed as "Unknown Device" now.

Thanks,

Nevil

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,631 Views)

Hey Nevil,

Glad to hear the upgrade fixed the problem! Smiley Happy

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,628 Views)