From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

determine port for ethernet card

I have been emailing with support trying to figure out why MAX cannot communicate with an ethernet card in my pc. I am new to ethernet and don't have the experience to solve this. I had explained that the MAX was giving error: " Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system." One solution suggested in the Ethernet tutorial was to run ping from the command line and see if it worked. I did that using the IP address of the ethernet card and it did work. I was then told by support to also use ping including the port number at the end for example 192.55.5.3:1. I do not know how to find port number. I did a web search and one solution was to run netstat from command line. I did that and go a long list of values and could not determine which was the ethernet card. Another thing I tried was in Wireshark under Conversations where the UDP: 2 tab selection showed port numbers for the card of both 138 and 139. When I tried using either of those port numbers with ping it gave me a error "Ping request could not find host 192.168.55.2:138. Please check the name and try again."

Can someone please tell me if there is another way to figure out the port for this ethernet card?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,228 Views)

I don't understand. MAX will communicate to an instrument - not a nic. Is there something on an Ethernet port that you are trying to communicate to? If so, what is it? In order to use LabVIEW and VISA, you often have to manually add the instrument in MAX. Right click on Devices and Interfaces and Select>Create New>VISA TCP/IP Resource.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,224 Views)