From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data throughput measurement tool

Hi,
I am looking for a tool that can do TCP/UDP upload/download and measures the datathriughput (having PER would be great). I have the internet toolkit and currently I am doing on the MS-Dos screen the ftp command mget/mput and copy manually the rate into notepad.
There are several codes doing ftp but non of it helps me further to catch the line needed i.e. data rate etc.
I attach you an example code I caught up in the net
Thanks
Yariv3G
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,264 Views)
Hi Yariv3G,

I haven't been able to find a more simple way than yours to measure the throughput of your TCP/UDP transfers. Have you searched different text-based forums (VB, C++ etc.) for a solution? My guess is that there are many small applications that you can call from LabVIEW to get the networking statistics either directly to the DLL or through their ActiveX interface.

Please let me know if you run into trouble communicating with a "network statistic" application.

Have fun!
- Philip Courtois, Thinkbot Solutions

Thinkbot Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,246 Views)
Yariv3G,

I recall your asking a similar question before. Here's my take: I'm not familiar with PER, but if you're looking for a fairly good measure of "X bytes sent/received in Y seconds" (similar to what you get from the command-line FTP client) and if you've got the Internet Toolkit, then you should be able to get a good result with Tick Count and the String Length or File/Directory Info functions.

I don't recall what LabVIEW version you're using, so I've attached a picture of an extremely simple example that demonstrates how to measure the FTP download speed of one file. When I run it on a 4.5 MB file, I get a throughput value nearly identical to the one I get for the same transfer on the command-line.

Regards,
John
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,233 Views)