LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data aquisition on parallel port

I have a data aquisition board with 3 different sensors...that connect through the parallel port by one of the pins (each sensor has his pin)...how can I make labview "measure" those pins...

4 exemple pins 14, 23, 6 😄

are there separate blocks in other libraries??? 

I have installes labview 8.6!

If it's simpler 4 u pls leave a link to a exemple like this...but not the one with the parallel port from the labview cuz it's not good!

tnx 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(2,772 Views)

snuk wrote:

I have a data aquisition board[...]

Which one? What have you connected to the device? What is the signal you want to acquire?

snuk wrote:

[...]If it's simpler 4 u pls leave a link to a exemple like this...but not the one with the parallel port from the labview cuz it's not good!

tnx 

Please do not abbreviate text in that manner. The NI discussion forums are no place to use language like leetspeak or similar......

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(2,765 Views)

Sorry for the language!

It's a board that has 3 sensors. It's connected on the parallel port and it has 12V alim at an external source.

For Exemple one of the sensors is for air pressure. The sensor measures it and it must send a mV signal to the pin that he is assigned to...Measuring that V I want to find out the air pressure. I have the pdfs for all the sensors...for this one, for exemple, I have a range (min-max) of 50 mV and 100kPs...so...1mV should be 2kPa!

I don't know how to connect the device through an interface in labview...I assume there are some blocks in the diagram ment to do that...but my labview knowledge is limited!

I have connected the device to the parallel port and to the external source!

what next? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(2,759 Views)

I doubt that you have a parallel port where your transducers are connected to. A parallel port is an interface to instruments, not transducers.

Do you know the vendor of this board? What's its name/description?

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(2,751 Views)
What about the example is it that is 'not good'? It reads the bits at the parallel port and that is what you need to do. You also need to know how the data is encoded since the output of the parallel port is binary.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(2,749 Views)

ok...I'll use that exemple but forgive my stupidity: how do I connect the number 4 pin (for exemple) to a measure instrument? or to a indicator?

told you I'm a beginner in these things!  you have to be more explicit please!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(2,744 Views)

It's a board that I created for a project! it has 3 sensors and I just created the electrical scheme and an electronics departament in my university assembled it!

It has a parallel port connector! I have convertors and commuters in the scheme before the parallel port...you thought I didn't knew what a parallel port is? or what? how could I've connected the port directly to some sensors????  It's a bigger electrical scheme...I just wrote the important stuff here!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(2,733 Views)
Why don't you post some information on the actual board you are trying to connect. If it's truly a parallel port interface, you would just use a standard cable to connect to the pc. If it's just a board with a connector, then the connections would depend on the type of DAQ hardware you have.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(2,725 Views)

it IS A PARALLEL PORT!!! and I have connected the board with a cable to the PC!

What I don't know is how to get information from a pin or another pin using labview!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(2,720 Views)

Ok, then you have no chance to acquire any analog signals. The parallel port is a digital interface to instruments and is used for digital protocols.

The only chance to receive information is to have an ADC on the connected board which translates the analog voltage into a serial protocol (that's what i understand from your statements).

Since the parallel port is used for parallel protocols, you can only read/write all lines at a time. You can then extract your line if desired.....

Still, you will not be able to acquire analog signals like 2mV because the parallel port will interpret this as a digital "LOW" and that's all you will receive...

Norbert 

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(2,716 Views)