From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data acquisition with different sampling rates

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a few questions about use of the OMB-DAQ-3005 with different sampling rates.

For our application we have 8 analog inputs. Two of which are fast response and will need to be sampled often.  We have a quadrature encoder (1000 CPR operating at 1800 RPM).  We plan to sample encoder X4.  For the fast response analog inputs, we desire to trigger a sample every pulse or every few pulses, thus creating a timestamp with the encoder position in relation to index position as well as the two fast analog inputs.  We must have data correlating the analog inputs with the encoder position.   The other analog inputs, we want to measure relatively slowly (e.g. once every 5 sec or similar).

How do I go about setting up two (or more) different sampling rates in which I can sample inputs at different frequencies?  Also, is there a way to reset encoder count upon index trigger such that I will have encoder position with respect to index?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,937 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author minachibi

Maybe you'll find somebody here that uses the OMB-DAQ-3005, but this forum is really more intended for LabVIEW programming questions.

I've never used the OMB-DAQ-3005, but out of curiosity I took a peek at the OMB-DAQ-3005 user manual.  The answer to your two questions are:

1.  You can't run a multiplexed DAQ device (like this one) at independent rates per channel.

2.  The OMB-DAQ-3005 supports a Z Index feature to reset the counter--look for documentation on how to configure it in whatever software interface you are using.  If you're stuck you might want to seek out the appropriate support channel for this particular instrument.

Best Regards,

John Passiak
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,899 Views)

Thank you for your answer.

Can we use LabView with this device.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,887 Views)

Search Omega's website or google to see if they have LabVIEW drivers.  It appears that they do here.  ftp://ftp.omega.com/public/DASGroup/products/OMB-DAQ-3000/

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,870 Views)

Thank you for your answer.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,848 Views)
If it's as slow as 5 seconds, you can simply make single reads in the program instead of setting a sample rate. If you have a timed loop or timeout case check if enough time has passed.
/Y
G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,836 Views)

I also have a omega omb daq 3005 that I want to use with labview

I downloaded the software/driver in that link but labview doesn't recognize my device

When I plug the usb port, my computer recognizes the device, but in LabView it doesn't and when I use tools > measurement & automation explorer my device doesn't appear on the list...
Any suggestions ?
Thank you,
Ana Carolina

@RavensFan wrote:

Search Omega's website or google to see if they have LabVIEW drivers.  It appears that they do here.  ftp://ftp.omega.com/public/DASGroup/products/OMB-DAQ-3000/

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,634 Views)

Measurement and Automation Explorer is only going to show NI devices, which the Omega is not.

Have you tried using the LabVIEW drivers that are in the link?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,627 Views)

Yes. I installed the labviewdaqcom2setup.exe.
It creates a support folder that contains a configuration utility and  DaqIPConf

but when I open them, I get  "no devices found"

so if Measurement and Automation Explorer only shows NI devices, I can`t use the DAQ assist at measurement i/o function palette, right?

Does labview has another assistent to make it easier to get a continuos thermocouple reading from not NI`s devices?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,608 Views)
If the omega utility does not recognize omega hardware, you need to contact omega.

No, there is only the DAQ Assistant. Ask omega for an example program, assuming you can get windows to recognize it.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,605 Views)