LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

daq usb to ethernet

I am using a DAQ (I think it is a 6009 but am not sure of the exact model number) and currently I have it connected to my laptop using the provided usb cable to read in digital data. I was wondering if it is possible to hook up a usb-to-ethernet adapter to the usb port on the daq and connect it to my laptop using an ethernet cable. Is this possible? If so will by labview code running on my laptop change? Currently I am using the dap assistant to read in from the daq.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,662 Views)

I think we need to get some terms straight. If you are talking about a USB-Ethenet adapter where the adapter is an addtional network interface for the pc, there is no way to even physically connect this to the USB-6009. The 6009 has an B type connector and you use a cable with a A type connector that plugs into a hub on the pc. USB-Ethernet adaptors willhave the same or often just a cable with a A type adapter that can only be plugged into a pc. The Ethernet side of the adapter has an RJ-45 connector and obviously, you can't plug your DAQ device into that.

On the other hand, there are USB extenders and this may be what you mean by USB-Ethernet. Many of these extenders use CAT-5 cable between the pc and the device. One part of the extender plugs in the A type connector on the pc and the other part of the extender also has an A type connector that you would plug your device into. I believe most of these amplify the signals and with low noise CAT-5 cable, you can place the USB device further away than normal. I have seen things called USB servers and these are network devices. Judging by questions other users have made about extenders, you may or may not get the extender to work. Apparently NI does not test or certify any extender. I would suggest doing a search of the forum for 'USB extender' to see what other users have gotten to work.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,652 Views)
Hi,

I am unclear as well on what device you are describing.  I am going to assume that you are describing a USB extender.  Please let me know if the device has different characteristics, but the information Dennis has provided you is first rate.  There are no officially supported USB extenders, but if you look at question four on the following dev zone, there are some companies that make extenders and hubs.  Please give us a bit more information with regards to your actual setup and I will try and help you resolve this issue.

USB Data Acquisition Frequently Asked Questions

Thanks for all your help Dennis, and congratulations on being knighted.

Have a great day everybody,

Michael Denton
Application Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,625 Views)

Hi.

Let me try to clarify. I have a DAQ 6009 that I connect to a laptop using the provided USB cable. I have a program running on my laptop using LabView and everything works. My problem is that I will be enclosing the DAQ in a box for my project which is a vending machine and instead of having this USB cable sticking out of the box I would rather have an ethernet port so I can connect my laptop to the DAQ using an ethernet cable. Kind of like how the new vending machines are with the ethernet ports in the back.

So my question is, is there some sort of connector that has a female USB connector on one end and a female ethernet connector on the other end and will this work with my LabView program?

I hope I cleared it up a little.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,586 Views)
I don't see the point of putting an RJ45 connector on the back when you could just more easily terminate the DAQ's cable inside the box and have a USB connector mounted on the outside. That way, all of your parts such as connectors and cables would be off-the-shelf. An RJ45 to USB cable would have to be custom built.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,580 Views)
Thanks for the response. Thats what I initally was thinking but thought if I could do it with an ethernet port it would look more suitable for use in the real world. But I guess Thats the next best option to have a double ended female adapter and connect that to the box.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,575 Views)