LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

current meter

hi all im knew to labview so please bare with me. Im simply looking to take readings such as current and voltage from a 12v bulb and feed them back to a DAQ and onto labview. What components would i need to undergo this. Any help greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,836 Views)

Use a small resistor that is in series with your bulb.  The size depends on your current.  A 1 Ohm should work if your current isn't very high.  You can then differentially measure the voltage drop across the resistor.  Apply Ohm's Law (V=IR => I = V/R) to get the current.  I recommend using a scale in DAQmx to apply to your current channels.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,832 Views)

thanks for that information i was thinking of that but the problem is i want to display the amount of energy used to run a 12v bulb on labview. Would i be better in taking in real time data measurements from the bulb or how would i go about doing that?... Or would i be better to stick to Omhs law???

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,821 Views)

thanks for that information i was thinking of that but the problem is i want to display the amount of energy used to run a 12v bulb on labview. Would i be better in taking in real time data measurements from the bulb or how would i go about doing that?... Or would i be better to stick to Omhs law???

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,820 Views)
You don't make any sense. There are two measurements that you take. Voltage across the bulb and voltage across the resistor. The current is calculated with ohm's law. You then calculate the power from the bulb voltage and the calculated current.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,807 Views)
Thanks i understand now... Sorry for not making much sense all this very new to me...
Just one more question.... Can i simply take a reading in from just my DAQ connected to labview??
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,743 Views)
You take two readings. With some basic math, you calculate the current and then the power.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,713 Views)

This is probably not the best diagram but you should get the idea...

Use a low value resistor like 0.1 ohm and measure the voltage drop across it.

0.1 Ohm will scale to 100mV/Amp

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,694 Views)

Also be aware of the fact that if you are using a small resistor (like 0.1 ohm), and your voltage is high, then your power will be high, and the resistor should also be able to handle that type of heat disapation.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,668 Views)