LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

crio - compactRIO 9004 unusual error , help please!! ASAP :(

Hi All

I've cRIO 9004 with chassis 9103. Two days ago it was working fine. suddenly with no obvious reason I'm not able to connect to it. Here are the details:

1. when all DIP switches are OFF, it powers up and i guess during the power process the STATUS LED flashes few times slowly and the user1 LED also flashes then both stops flashing but STATUS remains continuously lit. user1 is OFF
2. I checked the manual and it says that continously lit means the flash is corrupted and needs reformating.
3. problem is i can't see the cRIO anymore in my computer "used to see it" in order to perform the flash formating which i don't know how to do it as well but let this a side for now. let's try and connect it first.
4. I tried resetting the IP but it seems not working, here are two procedures I used for resetting the IP:
    a. while the controller is on, move the IP DIP switch to ON and then press the reset button .... didn't work 😞
    b. controller off, and move the IP DIP to on then power on the controller, and after a while "just to make sure it completed it's operating system", I press the rest button.... didn't work
5. I tried putting the controller on the safe mode and check if i can see it in MAX but couldn't. Also during the safe mode the status LED is continously flashing every couple of seconds or so.

6. all the modules and controller seem to have their power right.

would anyone please advice of the right procedure for resetting the IP, i've a feeling that it's 99% IP problem...."at least the one that i can't see it in MAX".
Also any other suggestions why the status LED is always on? in short, any suggestions that will make this thing work.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(7,433 Views)
Hi Jzee,

I have a few suggestions:

• Go to MAX, expand remote systems, delete all remote systems from MAX. Close MAX.  Disconnect power from controller. Unplug the 9103 backplane from the controller. Set the following dip switches to On position: safe mode, ip reset, no app. Power on the controller. Open MAX, expand Remote Systems, hopefully by this time you will see an entry with 0.0.0.0 IP for your controller.
  • Establish a serial connection from the controller to the host PC (connect a null modem cable to the serial port of the cRIO controller and your PC and use hyperterminal or any other software - I believe the cRIO baud rate is 9600).  Turn on the serial debug/console out dip switch. Reboot controller. See if any of the information you get back on the PC give you information as to what the state of the controller is.
  • Make sure it is not a networking problem (bad ethernet cable, dns issues, ...)

Hope this helps.

JMota
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(7,417 Views)
Dear JMota,

I did as you said in the first option and it seems that there are some results but still not complete.

1. I disconnected the cRIO 9004 from the backplane and connected it through the ethernet to my laptop and it was detected and even the status LED stopped flashing. Note that I only disconnected it and didn't do the DIP thing.
2. I connected the chassis and tried connecting then it didn't connect at all.
3. I added the C-modules assuming that the chassis won't work on its own and tried again but this also didn't work.
4. I deleted the RIO from max and tried to connect but this also didn't work  "I close and open MAX after each trial"

5. I disconnected everything again and only connected the 9004 to power and network. then I did the DIP switches thing and tried to connect but this didn't work
6. I pressed the reset button with the DIP switches you said about in the ON position ...... I reached another result which is the status LED is slowly continuously blinking every couple of seconds. I guess this is the option that means it's unconfigured NOT the continous flashing that means unrecoverable error.
7. If I disconnect the chassis, i can connect but when I connect the chassis something happens and I can't connect.

I made sure during my first connect to make the IP static "NOT using DHCP" in order to cancel out any problem may result from the network configuration.

the question is, should I reformat the flash while the controller is connected alone or this doesn't have anything to do with the chassis? Also any other suggestions for establishing the connection.

another thing i noticed, I disabled the network connection on my laptop and enabled it again ... it seems that the received packets are always zero. does this mean anything or help in anything???
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(7,408 Views)
sorry, one more thing. I didn't put a DNS at all neither in my laptop nor in the RIO. I only use, IP, subnet, and gateway.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(7,407 Views)
To make sure you start from a clean state, I suggest you reformat the flash. The flash you can format is in the controller and it doesn't have anything to do with the chassis.

Since having the backplane connected seems to be causing problems, after you format the flash, configure the controller's IP, set all dip switches to off position and reboot controller. Do all this having the backplane (9103) unplugged. The controller should work as a standalone RT target by itself.

If you can not get the controller to boot properly with no backplane, the problem might be in the controller's hardware. From the information you provided, seems that the controller works fine to me.

If connecting the backplane is what causes the controller to not boot up properly, I wonder if you are writing to the "System Reset" channel in the FPGA and you have set the backplane to auto-load from flash. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then this is not going to be your problem. If the FPGA is set to auto-load from flash, and the first thing it does is to write TRUE to the "System Reset" line, then the controller will never be able to boot up and you need to send the backplane to NI for repair/unprogram it.

One last thing you can check, is that the connection between the controller and the backplane is not loose. If it is loose, that could very well cause problems.

good luck.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(7,389 Views)
"make sure you start from a clean state, I suggest you reformat the flash. The flash you can format is in the controller and it doesn't have anything to do with the chassis.

Since having the backplane connected seems to be causing problems, after you format the flash, configure the controller's IP, set all dip switches to off position and reboot controller. Do all this having the backplane (9103) unplugged. The controller should work as a standalone RT target by itself.

If you can not get the controller to boot properly with no backplane, the problem might be in the controller's hardware. From the information you provided, seems that the controller works fine to me.

If connecting the backplane is what causes the controller to not boot up properly, I wonder if you are writing to the "System Reset" channel in the FPGA and you have set the backplane to auto-load from flash. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then this is not going to be your problem. If the FPGA is set to auto-load from flash, and the first thing it does is to write TRUE to the "System Reset" line, then the controller will never be able to boot up and you need to send the backplane to NI for repair/unprogram it.

One last thing you can check, is that the connection between the controller and the backplane is not loose. If it is loose, that could very well cause problems.

good luck."

--------------
Yes the controller work on its own , the problem is with the chassis

I did format the cRIO this morning but no better luck, just connecting with the controller on its own but not with the chassis. I don't know anything about the system reset in FPGA that you are talking about.... is it a HARD physical wiring or is it wiring through the software? if it's wiring through the software then do you think this can happen miracleously by its own from a software failure for some unknown reason???!!!  this has been a big pain in the bum trying to sort this out since monday till now!! connection between controller and chassis is not loose i've doubled checked it and as you know i disconnected the chassis and connected it again many times...

one really weird thing, i was using straight through cable to connect to the crio and when the controller connected there was error in the VISA system then i used a cross over cable and the error went away. then after rebooting there was an error in the VISA with the cross cable and i changed that into direct through cable and the error was gone. such a pain 😞

anymore suggestions before resorting to NI solution?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(7,382 Views)
The System Reset is a software resource available from LabVIEW FPGA VIs (digital output channel).

Can you post the LV Project and last FPGA VI you used with it? I'm curious if by accident you may have written to that channel from the FPGA VI.

Could it be possible that somebody else may have Downloaded an FPGA VI to this backplane's Flash? Have you used the Download VI to Flash tool to download any personalities to the FPGA?

Do you have any extra cRIO backplane you can connect to the controller to make sure it is something wrong with that backplane (instead of the controller)?

Seems to me that no matter what the result of these troubleshooting is you will have to contact NI's support. Might be helpful to refer them to this dicussion. Sorry.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(7,376 Views)
The System Reset is a software resource available from LabVIEW FPGA VIs (digital output channel).

Can you post the LV Project and last FPGA VI you used with it? I'm curious if by accident you may have written to that channel from the FPGA VI.

Could it be possible that somebody else may have Downloaded an FPGA VI to this backplane's Flash? Have you used the Download VI to Flash tool to download any personalities to the FPGA?

Do you have any extra cRIO backplane you can connect to the controller to make sure it is something wrong with that backplane (instead of the controller)?

Seems to me that no matter what the result of these troubleshooting is you will have to contact NI's support. Might be helpful to refer them to this dicussion. Sorry.

-------------------------------
hmmm.... there was someone who used this cRIO before i got it and he had his software on it. when i got it i was able to connect to it. i didn't download any software of mine on it. I ran couple of examples on my computer using the emulator option but never downloaded anything on it. and i assume that the guy's software is still there because he had two digital outputs to motors and the LEDS for these are still ON exactly the same way as i got the cRIO $which means his software is still there. i.e, i didn't change anything 😞

such a bad timing really, do you have any idea how long does NI normally take to return products back?

thanks for your help ... really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(7,370 Views)

Hi,

I gather from what you have written that you have run into a couple of issues but mainly that your host PC cannot connect to the 9004 controller via MAX? I also understand that someone else may have been using the controller before you. Essentially before you download your VI’s etc onto the 9004 controller from your host machine you need to ensure that the driver software versions on the 9004 controller match up with the driver versions on your host machine.

In a KB that is currently being processed I wrote:

Although my cRIO device is detected in MAX under remote systems I am not able to upload software drivers on to it. In other word when I goto MAX > Remote Systems > right click software directory that resides under cRIO device, then MAX will give me VISA error message; error 59.

In the cRIO operating instructions manual it states under the heading, For Safe Mode Switch section: “Push the safe mode switch to the ON position if the software on the controller is corrupted. If there is no software installed on the controller, the controller automatically boots into SAFE MODE regardless of the position of the SAFE MODE switch. The SAFE MODE switch must be in the ON position to reformat the drive on the controller.” Thus one must not forget to “reformat” the drive before attempting to upload software drivers. When the system boots in Safe Mode, it’s just loading a minimum set of drivers (from an onboard non-volatile memory) required for the controller so you can find the controller in MAX, set the IP address and install software. Software like NI VISA or NI-RIO is not loaded in memory. This would be one reason why you would not be able to target the controller from LabVIEW or open VISA session from MAX. You can reformat the memory on the cRIO by right clicking on it in MAX and selecting Format Disk from the shortcut menu. The controller will still be in safe mode (no software installed) but you will be able to install software from MAX.

More on this topic:

Reformatting the Internal CompactFlash Memory on NI Real-Time Controllers
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/6D0F9F74FD2DAD0186256EE5007198D4?OpenDocument

Also can you please tell me the driver versions that you have got installed on your machine? There is a known issue with MAX 4.2 shipped with feb 2007 driver cd. The problem affects MAX’s ability to display RT targets under remote systems in certain instances.

Ideally its best to exhaust all avenues before concluding that the device is in need of repair to save you having to go through the process sending it back to us only to discover that there is nothing faulty with the device.

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Kirtesh Mistry
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland.

Message Edited by Kurt NI AE on 03-30-2007 09:23 AM

Message Edited by Kurt NI AE on 03-30-2007 09:24 AM

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(7,336 Views)

@Jzee wrote:
hmmm.... there was someone who used this cRIO before i got it and he had his software on it. when i got it i was able to connect to it. i didn't download any software of mine on it. I ran couple of examples on my computer using the emulator option but never downloaded anything on it. and i assume that the guy's software is still there because he had two digital outputs to motors and the LEDS for these are still ON exactly the same way as i got the cRIO $which means his software is still there. i.e, i didn't change anything 😞

such a bad timing really, do you have any idea how long does NI normally take to return products back?

thanks for your help ... really appreciate it.

The weird thing here is that when you got it you were able to connect to it, but now you can't. In addition to following Kurt's suggestion, you can try the following:

- With the backplane disconnected, set the safe mode dip switch on. Reboot controller. Make sure you can see it in MAX and status light indicates it is in safe mode (don't recall if it is one or two blinks).
- Disconnect power from it. Re-connect the backplane (with no modules attached to it). Power on the controller. See if the status light still indicates it is in safe mode. If it does, then that means the backplane is not trying to reset the controller and it could be something with the controller itself (could potentially be a startup RT application).

One last question. Did something happened which could have caused the backplane or controller to get physically damaged? Short-circuit, lighting or connecting/disconnecting the backplane while the controller is powered?

As far as how long NI normally takes to return products, I really don't know.

good luck.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(7,328 Views)