LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'create easy text report.vi' does... nothing!

I was using the subject vi to print simple text files.  Now...it does nothing.  Even if I open and run the vi as a standalone with "this is a test" in the 'text to be printed' field, it does nothing.  From the file menu i can print the vi itself to the default printer, which is where my text should be going, but I don't even see anything on the printer spool when I run the vi standalone.

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,662 Views)

Hi CDC,

you don't provide any path (or printer name) - so what do you expect to happen?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,625 Views)

I'd love to test your code to see if perhaps your version of LabVIEW has failed, but you failed to provide us the means to help you -- attach your failing VI.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,613 Views)

with no entry there it should (and was) printing to the default printer.  which as i said, is working as i can print the vi itself under the 'File' pull down menu.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,595 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

I'd love to test your code to see if perhaps your version of LabVIEW has failed, but you failed to provide us the means to help you -- attach your failing VI.

Bob Schor

Hi Bob.

Attached is a snippet.  I tried adding the printer name, but without it it should print to the default printer, which is working.  Even running the 'create easy text report.vi' (straight from the Report Generation menu produces nothing.  The code saves the file to the specified file correctly.  I have the printer que open and there is nothing on the spool.  If I open the text file in notepad and print it works fine.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,593 Views)

It occurs to me, the last time I confirmed this worked I was on 64bit and am now on 32bit

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,582 Views)

First time I tried it, it failed with an Error 7, as I had no folder called Test.  Once I created the folder, it worked fine, printed "This is a test".  I must confess I never thought of using the RGT as a "printer", but it does work.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,578 Views)

Thanks for trying.  I assumed it would work.  Still confused why it wont for me.  May find another way to skin this cat.

@Bob_Schor wrote:

First time I tried it, it failed with an Error 7, as I had no folder called Test.  Once I created the folder, it worked fine, printed "This is a test".  I must confess I never thought of using the RGT as a "printer", but it does work.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,567 Views)