From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

crash moving items

Solved!
Go to solution

No navigation window before or after.

Open labview windows:

On the laptop: Front Panel - full screen on laptop, Block Diagram - full screen on external monitor, context help, and the project open in the background.

On the desktop: Front panel - full screen on one screen, Block Diagram - full screen on second monitor, and context help. no project in this case

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(1,403 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alston P.

Hello Everyone,

We believe that this crash is related to CAR 276766.  We found that moving sequence structures or code within sequence structures can leak GDI objects.  This will leak faster depending on how much code is in a frame and how many frames the structure has.  I tagged this CAR for the LabVIEW Known Issues and it will show up the next time I update the document.

This leak is exacerbated by moving sections of code with the keyboard.  LabVIEW interprets this as many different moves of a small distance.  This in turn makes it leak faster.  One workaround is to move the code with you mouse so that it is only interpreted by LabVIEW as one move.

Alston,

I took a look at your code and I believe that you can easily remove the sequence structure and still achieve the same data flow.  I simply placed each frame in a case structure and used an error wire to force data flow.  Please let us know if you can still reproduce the crash in moving this code.

Regards,

Jon S.
National Instruments
LabVIEW NXG Product Owner
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(1,380 Views)

Jon,

Thanks for the reply.  Changing the sequence structure to a series of case statements seems to have stopped the error from happening, at least on my desktop. 

I have another piece of code that uses the first order transfer functions from the control design toolbox, and moving one of those sequence frames (somewhere around 500 pixels down and back) will cause the crash.  Removing the sequence frames seems to fix the error in that code as well.

Alston P.

EDIT

Thank you to everyone else who tried to help me with this issue.  I do appreciate the input.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(1,366 Views)

I just had this happen in 2011, and I saw the following on the CAR status:

Resolved Version: 2010 SP1 32-bit

FYI

It's only happened once, but it was definitely when moving a handful of subVIs around in some case structures.  I don't think I was using the keyboard, though.  I submitted a crash report.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(1,272 Views)

Hello PiMaster,

We did fix the issue that was described in CAR 276766 in LabVIEW 2010 SP1.  In that instance the flat sequence structure was leaking GDI objects.  I would be willing to bet that you hit a bug that has a different underlying cause.

Thank you for submitting the crash report.  If you find a way to reproduce the problem consistantly can you post back here with instructions?  I'll make sure that we try to investigate it.

Regards,

Jon S.
National Instruments
LabVIEW NXG Product Owner
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(1,268 Views)

Yeah, if it happens again, I'll try to make note of as many details as possible and let you know.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(1,257 Views)

Wow. 10 years later, Labview 2019, this has been happening several times last few months. (Ridiculous because it just happened again now so I googled 'labview select move crash' and this thread came up.) Moving a selection, this time involved a case structure w/property node but not sure of nodes involved previous times. Worst part is it's not random because before, I've restarted PC and tried to finish same action and got same crash.

Message 17 of 17
(773 Views)