From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

counters gating

I would like to generate two sets of pulse trains with my available counters (2): CTR0 is finite of about 50 pulses at 100Hz 80% duty cycle and CTR1 is continuous 40KHz and 50% duty cycle.  I would like to internally connect the output of CTR0 to the gate of CTR1.  The net effect is that I would get a 40KHz 50% signal for about 8ms and off for 2ms, repeat for 50 pulses.

After a couple hours of googling I found out that this not possible because labview use both counters to generate a finite pulse train.

Is this a show stopper?  Is there someway to do what I described above in labview?

I am using labview 8.5 with PCI6221 card.

Thanks in advance
hv

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,290 Views)

Hi HV,

The card that you are using is an M Series DAQ card. When you generate a finite pulse train, two counters are used. One counter is used to generate pulses, and the other is used as a gate. For more information on this please refer to: Generating a finite pulse train and another counter task on the same device in LabVIEW with NI-DAQmx...

Best Regards,

Jignesh

Best Regards,
Jignesh Patel
Principal RF Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,268 Views)

Hi HV,

I would like to add a few things to my previous post. There is a way to do what you want to do with the PCI-6221. The approach you need to take will be a little different. Take a look at:

Creating a Delayed, Retriggerable and Finite Pulse Generator

Using One Counter to Generate a Retriggerable Finite Digital Pulse Train with a PCI-6602 and DAQmx

Retrigger and Repeat Finite Digital Pulse Train in LabVIEW

Let me know if you have any questions for me.

Best Regards,

Jignesh

Best Regards,
Jignesh Patel
Principal RF Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,244 Views)