From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

convert from RGB to CIE l*a*b

hello..

i tried to convert my image acquired from camera from RGB to CIE l*a*b. to use in fire detection usiong image processing.

can anyone help me please

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,487 Views)

Hi mozahem,

the German Wikipedia provides some easy math for sRGB-to-CIELab conversion.

The English Wikipedia provides some facts about RGB to CIELab conversion.

I guess you are able to read Wikipedia a your own. Do you have problems setting up those simple formulas in LabVIEW?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,435 Views)

@mozahemmohamad wrote:

hello..

i tried to convert my image acquired from camera from RGB to CIE l*a*b. to use in fire detection usiong image processing.

you probably want to identify color differences using L*a*b* coordinates

as Gerd pointed out, in terms of the mathematics, this is an easy transformation (which is applied on each RGB pixel separately)

to give you an idea,

in this example there is a RGB to Ycbcr subvi:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Code/AVAST-Unleash-Your-Inner-Pirate-using-LabVIEW/ta-p/3515772

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,428 Views)

thank you. i have a project to detect fire using image processing in labview. i read many articles and the first step is to convert camera image from RGB to CIE l*a*b. i try equations for each pixel in image but its very slow and the camera is slow. and after converting image i will calculate L*m and A*m and B*m....

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,415 Views)

thank you. i try this. i convert image into array of values then calculate for each pixel. but for camera image it being very slow

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,412 Views)

Hi mozahem,

@mozahemmohamad wrote:

i try equations for each pixel in image but its very slow and the camera is slow.

When you think there are problems within your VI then you should attach that VI!

LabVIEW can work polymorphic, so probably you don't need to calculate an equation for each pixel (as can be seen in the image in Alex' message)!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,367 Views)

@mozahemmohamad wrote:

thank you. i try this. i convert image into array of values then calculate for each pixel. but for camera image it being very slow

how many camera images (frames per second) do yo want to process?

what size does one camera image have?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,346 Views)

30 fps. the camera is always active and the image is processing using labview for fire detection.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,330 Views)