From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

control latching solenoid

Hello,

I am looking for guidance in controlling a latching solenoid valve via Labview. Here is the spec sheet for the solenoid:

Lee Co. LHLX0500300B

It requires a short (10ms maximum) pulse to actuate at +/- 5V. I haven't picked my NI hardware yet but I know I can generate the +/- 5V with many of the devices NI offers. I will also have access to a serial port on the computer and can probably use that (correct?). The part I don't know how to control is the duration of the pulse. Any ideas? Will I need to use a circuit that is controlled via Labview?

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,369 Views)

You probably also need an amplifier.  The solenoid is specified to require 5.5 mW-s to switch states.  You indicated that you will have 10 ms pulse width at 5 V.

0.0055 (Ws)/ 0.01 s = 0.55 W.   0.55 W/5 V = 0.11 A. Most DAC devices cannot produce 110 mA through the analog outputs.  You may also need protective diodes.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,356 Views)