LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting to HBM t12 driver

Hi,

I am currently on a placement with Cummins generator technologies in the UK. I am trying to connect a HBM t12 torque transducer via USB to labview.

I am very new to labview and have never used it before last week, so please try to be as simple as possible.

I am currently unable to download the driver software from HBM, as the company has all kind of security etc. I am using Labview 2012 version.

How do i go about interfacing this with Labview? for now all i need to do is read the torque data (o/p from USB at +/-10V) , and export it to excel once when the program starts, and thats it.

Any help would be gratly appreciated.

Thanks,

JonMark

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,078 Views)

This would be a very hard way to connect to the transducer unless the T12 software is an OPC server,You would have to know the driver commands to be able to interface and who knows if you could get that information, From the HBM website, this transducer can be connected to a Industrial bus (Can, Profibus DP, Eithercat ) This would require additional hardware and give you the data from your T12

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,047 Views)

Yeah, I've found out that our transducer is connected via a Peak CAN device. this is what converts it to USB. 

So you suggest getting the drivers as the only option? 

Once i have the driver what would be the best way to do it? simply use a VISA or?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,020 Views)

Hi Jon,

well, now you should use the drivers for this PeakCAN device...

And reading the CAN manual of the HBM T12 is helpful too!

Using CANopen devices can be quite easy:

check.png

(Reading rotation speed and torque from HMB-T12 by PDO…)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 6
(3,012 Views)

Thanks for your help, i have solved reading the data now. My program is reading one piece of data at a time, then looping again to read the next. is it possible to output all of this data automatically to excel once the program ends?

I have tried some of the built in excel VI's, however they end up creating a separate excel spreadsheet for every iteration, i.e after 10 seconds i have 10 open spreadsheets.

Hopefully you can provide some way of getting round this,

Thanks,

JM

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,912 Views)

Hi JM,

don't use EXCEL ActiveX VIs to create "excel files"…

Create spreadsheet files using WriteSpreadsheetFile. (Do you note the different wording?)

Appending data to your file is quite easy then (as should be with those Excel ActiveX VIs too). Just read the help for that function…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,906 Views)