LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connect to Agilent 34410A via Ehternet cable and VISA interface

Hi,

I have a question regarding setting up the "VISA reference source" with an IP to collect the readings from the Agilent 34410A!

I just downloaded the driver via NI side for that multimeter:

https://www.keysight.com/de/de/lib/software-detail/driver/34410a-34411a-digital-multimeter-labview-i...

Unfortunatelly the code using the VISA interface instead of the TCP VIs in labview. But using the text "TCPIP0::[IP Adress]" I get contact with the multimeter and my code does collect the data as wanted! For information: I use a labtop with NI 2020 installed and I tested all first running the VI itself and also as builded application. But the labtop has only ONE ethernet card on board!

Now I wanted to use the builded application on another computer in our measurement room that has THREE ehternet card included .. and here I am not able to set up the VISA interface!

In the Labview help it is stated, that the "0" is the indentifier for the used ethernet card. So I tired "TCPIP1 .." and "TCPIP2 .." etc, but without any success.

Does anyone has expierence with using TCP/IP via VISA and with more than one networks inlcuded to the system?

Many thanks and best regards

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,497 Views)

Are the VISA drivers installed on the other host computer?

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downloads/drivers/download.ni-visa.html#442805

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,472 Views)

@UncleBob wrote:

Hi,

I have a question regarding setting up the "VISA reference source" with an IP to collect the readings from the Agilent 34410A!

I just downloaded the driver via NI side for that multimeter:

https://www.keysight.com/de/de/lib/software-detail/driver/34410a-34411a-digital-multimeter-labview-i...

Unfortunatelly the code using the VISA interface instead of the TCP VIs in labview. But using the text "TCPIP0::[IP Adress]" I get contact with the multimeter and my code does collect the data as wanted! For information: I use a labtop with NI 2020 installed and I tested all first running the VI itself and also as builded application. But the labtop has only ONE ethernet card on board!

Now I wanted to use the builded application on another computer in our measurement room that has THREE ehternet card included .. and here I am not able to set up the VISA interface!

In the Labview help it is stated, that the "0" is the indentifier for the used ethernet card. So I tired "TCPIP1 .." and "TCPIP2 .." etc, but without any success.

Does anyone has expierence with using TCP/IP via VISA and with more than one networks inlcuded to the system?

Thomas

Granted I have not used that exact instrument but... I have used VX11 (Ethernet) based instruments with VISA on systems with both an Ethernet and Wi-Fi adaptor

A VISA resource string for an IP based instrument should look something like this TCPIP0::192.168.0.7::inst0::INSTR

One thing that might help is to put your instruments on a separate subnet then your LAN (or Wi-Fi in my case) 

LAN 192.168.0.xxx 

Wi-Fi 192.168.1.xxx

The Windows routing tables should then route the IP traffic to the proper network adaptor.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,442 Views)

Many thanks for your comments!

I just attached a picture in how I set the VISA reference .. and it worked on the used labtop pretty well! I did not post the whole code as that doesn't matter

Picture.PNG

However - I will follow the hint from "P27" and will install the drivers on that "other" machine. Maybe that helps.

@RTSLVU

All three network cards using a different subnet: So the mulitmeter is in the subnet 192.168.150.xxx and the others are like "192.168.151.xxx" etc! Including the laptop to that network everythinks works well! But just on the other machine (that is always a part of that network) it does not work. But maybe the installing of the VISA drivers will help.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,429 Views)

@UncleBob wrote:

@RTSLVU

But maybe the installing of the VISA drivers will help.

(Facepalm) Um....Yeah you have to install VISA for any program that uses VISA to work! 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,415 Views)

Brilliant .. that of course was the problem!:)

Somethimes it is just that easy. Many thanks to you ...

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,398 Views)