LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

combo box HEX style

hi,

for a communication UI I want to use a combo box for my send string and realize something like a history in the combo box item list.
This works fine with normal strings, however if I switch the display style to HEX for a numerical value input (with all the benefits of input control of valid entries, grouping of values etc..) the item list will rest in normal string display 😞

Any idea for a workaround ?

I tried splitting item and value, keep the numeric string as value and format an item string, but if you select the item in the pull down list the item value will be inserted in the control! (which then looks funny in HEX style)
Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 1 of 8
(4,476 Views)
You are right, this looks like a bug!

(It is also strange that once the combo box contains values, you no longer can choose hex display or change it back to normal display directly from the righ-click menu, only from the properties dialog.)

I would use normal display and use the "strings and values properties" Use the hex text as "value" and it's hexadecimal formatted ASCII representation as "strings". See attached LabVIEW 7.1 example.

Message Edited by altenbach on 05-23-2005 09:20 AM

Message 2 of 8
(4,465 Views)
yeah looks like one of these hard to understand features ;-/

so no history for the user....

thanks for your thoughts
Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,446 Views)
I agree that this looks like a bug.

I have reported this a service request # 678131.

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 8
(4,413 Views)
This behavior/bug has been filed and reported to R&D associated with service request #678131.

Thanks,
Swapnil P.
Message 5 of 8
(4,364 Views)
It is still worse with slash code display...
Each time you manually enter a backslash, all the backslashes are doubled in the string, until it exponentially eats up all available memory.

LabVIEW, C'est LabVIEW

Message 6 of 8
(4,350 Views)

This was reported to R&D (# 3LUA447S), but was determined to be expected behavior because the strings in the drop-down should correspond to the configured items and not the value (as also seen in \ code mode and password mode). If an item in the drop-down is selected, it is its value that is put in the combo box. Since looking at hex is typically less intuitive for humans, we want to retain the items as something the user understands and the values of those strings (if different) as something the computer can understand. 

JP, it looks like the behavior that you posted about on 06-03-2005 @ 03:19 PM was fixed in LabVIEW 8.0. 

I hope this helps,

Travis H.
LabVIEW R&D
National Instruments
Message 7 of 8
(4,028 Views)
Well LV8.1 still has this bug when the items in hex in the combo box was selected, not when typed in the box.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,762 Views)