LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

code compatible in labview 2009 and 8.6

I am using Labview7.1 currently and want to upgrade to labview Q3,2009 edition. The company I work for has another department in India and they are using Labview 8.6. I want to know if I upgrade my labview to latest one, could we still share codes between these two different versions without compatibility issues?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,908 Views)
I don't think there should be any issues. Just ensure that you are saving for previous in 2009 to 8.6, and you'll know if there are any errors. Then you could deal with them on case to case basis. But if most of your VIs are running in 7.1, I think they should run in 2009/8.6 too. Please let us know if this isn't the case. 🙂
Message 2 of 7
(2,906 Views)

This logic may work for the simple projects, but will be painful for medium - large complicated projects.

VIs created in latest version cannot be opened in previous version directly. You should save these VIs for the previous version as mentioned above. Otherwise, not all code can be saved for the previous version easily (if you will use some features which not supported in previous version)

I would like to recommend stay with LabVIEW 8.6 if it impossible to upgrade department in India to the latest version.

Andrey.

Message 3 of 7
(2,898 Views)

Thanks. I will need to convert my code to 8.x. The concern is about code sharing between tow departments.

So what if I save my code in 2009 but not using any new features which not in 8.6, could the other collegue open my code in 8.6?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,889 Views)

lvfanqie wrote:

Thanks. I will need to convert my code to 8.x. The concern is about code sharing between tow departments.

So what if I save my code in 2009 but not using any new features which not in 8.6, could the other collegue open my code in 8.6?

Yes and no. I mean then technically yes, but personally I've got lot of troubles in the past when some VIs (mostly where Vision SubVIs and controls was used) was broken after downgrade from 8.x to 7.x, or just caused LabVIEW crash by opening.

Andrey.

Message 5 of 7
(2,882 Views)

lvfanqie wrote:

If you save it in LV 2009, your colleague CANNOT open that code in his/her LV 8.6. Smiley Sad

But the converse is true.

Also, since you are using LV 7.1 still, I strongly suggest you to have LV 8.0 also in your system, because that is the only version in in LV 8.X series that will help you to convert code back to LV 7.1. Smiley Wink

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
Message 6 of 7
(2,867 Views)

Thanks a lot, guys. I really need to think about to change my quotation to Labview8.6 but not the latest.

LV upgrade compatibility is really an issue when each time we do the upgrading.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,856 Views)