From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

closing references of reentrant vi

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello fellow labviewers,

I am struggling to deal with a problem (or as I like to call it "opportunity").

I have a program which launches various reentrant VIs, typically around 7 or 8 of them. The problem arises when I want to close each reference of the reentrant VIs, the more time they were opened for, the more time will take to close them.  

As you can see in the attached VI, since I use shift registers, i thought that it could take long time to deallocate all the memory used by the registers, but the problem still remains even if I set the maximum size of them to a very small number.

Any ideas on why it could take so long to close? (by long i mean even 5 minutes)

thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,400 Views)

here are the vi...

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,397 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author loba

Your reentrant2 has an "Open VI ref", with no Close, in a loop with no obvious means of throtling, so I would look to that first.

Message 3 of 5
(3,374 Views)

It is much more helpful to us to attach VIs, not static pictures of VIs.  I'll wait to see the VIs, which (among other things) will (a) tell me the version of LabVIEW you are using, (b) allow me to see the other Case code, and (c) allow me to "cosmetically reorganize" your code so that I can "visually grasp it" more easily.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,345 Views)

hi,

thanks for your reply. I found out that the problem was that the "Open VI reference" block was inside the while loop. I took the block outside the loop and now all the non reentrant VI close immediatly. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,344 Views)