From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

check if page download is finished in web browser

Hi,

I'am creating a .vi were one step consists in openning an URL in a web browser (firefox), and the opening is quite long, with an unpredictible duration. (request in database).

I need my program to perform the next actions only when the page is fully downloaded and displayed.
Is theire a method to get the confirmation that the page download is finished?

Many thanks in advance for your help !

Regards

antoine

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,520 Views)

This depends on how you are opening the webpage from LabVIEW. Given Firefox has not ActiveX interface, I presume you are simply passing a URL into "Open URL in Default Borwser.VI"? If you are then you probably have no way to query Firefox to determine when it has finished updating.

If you use the ActiveX WebBrowser control in LabVIEW you can call the Busy? method to determine when the embedded browser has stopped downloading the page.

busy.jpg

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

Message 2 of 6
(2,509 Views)

Hi Thoric, 

Thanks a lot for your clear reply.

Yes, I'am using the open URL in default browser .vi, and yes, I was expecting something like activeX controle over firefox, so the absence of activeX interface is a bad news....

Will look more in details about the ActiveX WebBrowser control in LabVIEW wich I don't know.

Thanks again for the help, 

antoine

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,503 Views)

by the way... newbees question, sorry, but how to create the "webBrowser refnum" and the related property node? I'am always struggling with refnum creation when I try to duplicate some examples...
thanks !

antoine

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,499 Views)

@mknix wrote:

by the way... newbees question, sorry, but how to create the "webBrowser refnum" and the related property node? I'am always struggling with refnum creation when I try to duplicate some examples...
thanks !

antoine

From the Front Panel drop a .NET & ActiveX > WebBrowser control down. This create the block diagram terminal from which you get the reference handle Smiley Happy

Firefox doesn't support ActiveX because that's a Microsoft concept, which they're opposed to, therefore they don't host an ActiveX interface. Internet Explorer however does have an ActiveX interface, and that is what is embedded in the ActiveX WebBrowser control.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

Message 5 of 6
(2,493 Views)

OK, thanks a lot for your time and clear explanations.

I was always looking in the block diagram palette, not front panel Smiley Embarassed

I'am normally not pro-microsoft, but here I seem to have no other choice than go with IE... 

regards

antoine

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,489 Views)