From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing sub vi pop up

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a way that when clicking on a sub vi on my block diagram I get the sub vis block diagram instead of its front panel? 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,394 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author pathare535

I assume you mean when you are in "Development mode" and creating (or modifying) LabVIEW code on the Block Diagram.  Clicking on a sub-VI on your block diagram is equivalent to clicking on it in LabVIEW Project or in Windows Explorer -- it opens the sub-VI in LabVIEW, which opens the Front Panel.  I don't think you can change this (but am willing to be proven wrong) -- I think this is the intended, designed-in, and logical behavior.  It only takes a Ctrl-E to get to the Block Diagram ...

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 9
(4,389 Views)

Yeah, I get that its a logical step that the front panel is displayed then press ctrl-e to get to the block diagram, but when Im going down a few levels of sub vis my monitors get really cluttered. I'd prefer it was the other way, I press ctrl-e to see the front pannel.

Thanks though

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,384 Views)

You can "declutter" monitors by minimizing (the little "-" sign in the upper right corner of the Window) the Front Panels you don't want to see.  But you are correct -- the screen can get "filled with VI parts" making it difficult to navigate.  One thing you can try is the Find feature (Ctrl-F) -- if you have, say, 20 VIs in memory and they are all on the Screen, and you want to see where your "Open Acquisition" is called, just Find "Open Acquisition".  [Hmm -- this might only find where Open Acquisition is called, not the VI itself, but you can also quickly find it by clicking on the LabVIEW Icon on the Task Bar which brings up an organized list of all the LabVIEW Windows that are currently open -- just click the one to which you want to jump).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,379 Views)

@pathare535 wrote:

Is there a way that when clicking on a sub vi on my block diagram I get the sub vis block diagram instead of its front panel?

You can Ctrl+Double Click on the subVI and the block diagram will open up.  However, the front panel will also be opened.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 9
(4,369 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@pathare535 wrote:

You can Ctrl+Double Click on the subVI and the block diagram will open up.  However, the front panel will also be opened.

See?  You always learn "something new" on the LabVIEW Forums!

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,366 Views)
The front panel will be opened UNLESS the VI is running in a subpanel, then only the block diagram will open.

Mike...

PS: I know this isn't the case the OP was asking about, but it was too good a tip to pass up...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 7 of 9
(4,341 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

I assume you mean when you are in "Development mode" and creating (or modifying) LabVIEW code on the Block Diagram.  Clicking on a sub-VI on your block diagram is equivalent to clicking on it in LabVIEW Project or in Windows Explorer -- it opens the sub-VI in LabVIEW, which opens the Front Panel.  I don't think you can change this (but am willing to be proven wrong) -- I think this is the intended, designed-in, and logical behavior.  It only takes a Ctrl-E to get to the Block Diagram ...

Bob Schor

Use Ctrl+Double Click on SubVI

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,267 Views)

USe the  Ctrl+ Moue Left Double Click on SubVI Block  will appers 1 st..

NI CLDlabview-programming-fundamentalslabview-environment
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,262 Views)