From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change wave graph scale from numbers to letters

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi I am new to this forum and i have a question, which I can't manage to solve on my own.

For an assignment for school i need to create a program which can tell the diffrence between english and dutch languague. I want to solve this problem comparing the specific amount of letters used in the tekst. for example the letter e fills on average 18,91% of the duch teksts and 12,7% of english teksts. I think i can make it trough the comparing system. Though there is something I can't find in any tutorial of walktrough. I make use of waveform graphs which I will later compare. I've got all the letters  listed on the X-axis and the matching percentage it's found in the tekst on the Y-axis. The problem is, right now numbers are displayed on the X-axis... 0 to 26 to be precise. Is it possible to change those numbers into letters? if so. how?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,446 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tundir

I don't think you can do this.  I know that even in some examples the x-axis is just hidden and there is just floating text (Stacked Bar Waveform Graph).

I remember helping a friend out with this because there was another example that made it seem possible.  We looked for a bit and found nothing until we realized that they also just hid the x-axis and wrote in text in the appropriate places.

I would be interested to know if this was possible though.  Because the x-axis range properties for min, max, start, and increment are all doubles I would guess that it isn't though.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 2 of 8
(3,424 Views)

@Jacobson-ni wrote:

I would be interested to know if this was possible though. 

That's why we have this idea. 😄

(Also have a look at this recent discussion. Is he one of your classmates?)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,414 Views)

Covering up the numbers is an idea ... though i have to make some graphs appear and some disappear in relation to the values that come out of a comparison to two arrays. making those letters appear and disappear on the exact same place is something I won't be able to do given my current knowledge of the program...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,395 Views)

I hope your idea will be allowed! it seems almost inlogical not to have installed it in the first place... though I don't think i will have any profit of it now even if your idea gets approved. 

and yes i do think that guy is from my class the assignments are quite alike

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,389 Views)

Hi,

Workaround for the reported issue.

VI attached.

2012 LV version

Regards,

Bijay

Message 6 of 8
(3,382 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@Jacobson-ni wrote:

I would be interested to know if this was possible though. 

That's why we have this idea. 😄

(Also have a look at this recent discussion. Is he one of your classmates?)

Thanks for pointing out the idea exchange post.  I gave it a kudo even if it is pretty old.

The above idea of just grouping and locking a label and graph is probably the best solution.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,350 Views)

@Jacobson-ni wrote:
The above idea of just grouping and locking a label and graph is probably the best solution.

If the graph is never resized or modified (also ensure to uncheck "advanced...autoadjust scales"!) and the scale labels never change, this is a solution. I would probably used the graph caption for the axis instead of a free label, no grouping needed. It is also important to use a fixed-width font for the axis so the letters are spaced equally. If the marker labels have different numbers of characters, it gets harder to align them all with the exact position and you might have to use several free labels.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,345 Views)