LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cant move block diagram entities

Well, suddenly LabVIEW has decided that I don't need to move entities around on my block diagram.
I'm running LabView PDS 7.1
The pointer is a finger.
Pointing to an entity and clicking on it does nothing, whereas it used to highlight the entity so that I could move it.
Also, I can't draw wires anymore.
Nor can I edit case selectors, double clicking on the case selector now just brings up a list of the already defined cases.

I suppose I accidently set some preference somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what I did!
What did I do?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,120 Views)
You were probably using automatic tool selection (a favorite of mine) and accidentally disabled it, thus being stuck with the "hand" tool. You can reenable it by clicking the top button on the tools palette (the wide one, the one with crossed wrench and screwdriver. If you can't see the tools palette, enable it in the window menu.

Another option is that your diagram is stuck in run mode (which you can change to edit mode from the Operate menu), but that seems unlikely, because then the cursor would alternate between "moving hand" and "pointing hand".

(3,109 Views)
Ah, yes. The automatic tool selection thing, that was it.

How frustrating for a newbie, like me!

Thank you very much.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,106 Views)
You can also enable automatic tool selection by pressing "Shift + Tab"..I use it a lot and it saves a lot of time...p_oswal.
Message 5 of 7
(3,094 Views)
Great tip p_oswal!  I use that shortcut all the time, except I don't press Shift.  Tab seems to do the job.  Just trying to help save some keystrokes!  This only works if you haven't explicitly turned off the Automatic Tool Selector (ATS) (green LED on the Tools palette).  If you turn off the ATS then Tab will just move through all the tools.

Hope this helps!
Andy F.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,066 Views)
Thanks Andy.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,054 Views)