LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot view installer properties

I am currently unable to build an installer for my projects. I am also unable to view the properties of installers that I created in other projects. When trying to view the installer properties from past projects the hour glass shows for a few seconds and then nothing. When trying to create a new installer I only get a message that says I must first save the project before you can create a build specification. If I acknowledge this it creates the installer icon under the build specification directory but will not allow me to do anything with it.
Any help with this problem would be great.
Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,189 Views)
Hello sdrochek,

This sounds like quite a strange problem you are having with your application builder. Because you are using projects, we can tell that you are in LabVIEW 8.x. Which version is that that you are actually using? Also which development system are you using (Full, Professional, etc)? If you are using the Professional version, is it correctly activated in the License Manager? If not Professional, then do you have the Application Builder installed correctly?

Assuming you should have the capabilities to build applications and installers, I have a few more questions that may help to find a solution:

1) Have you ever been able to successfully build installers on this machine? If so, can you recall any system changes since this worked successfully?
2) If you start a new VI and build an exe then create an installer from this exe, are you successful? This will tell us whether the issue is specific to the application you've been building.
3) You mentioned that the icon is placed under the "Builds" section in your project, but that you cannot do anything with it. What happens when you double-click this build to access its properties? Does LabVIEW give an error message or just hang? Do you have to restart LabVIEW at all, or is it as if you never selected the build at all?
4) Have you noticed any strange behavior when building executables? Do these executables run correctly?
5) Have you tried a reinstallation of the software?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,170 Views)
Duffman,

Yes this is a very strange problem. I have the LabVIEW 8.0 Full developement package with Application Builder installed correctly and have verified the license is activated. 

To answer your questions:
1) I have been able to build installers in the past, just last week. From the last time I was able to build an installer there have been no significant changes to my PC. I have just create many new vis and have not added any new software.
2) I tried building a new vi and can build an exe but I cannot build an installer for that exe.
3) When I open a project that I have created that has an installer, when I right click to get the properties I get the hour glass for a few seconds and then the pointer returns but I do not get the window that displays the properties. I do not get an error and I am still able to continue using LabVIEW afterwards. When I try to make an Installer for a new project like I said it places the Icon but when I double-click it I  get the hour glass for a few seconds and then the pointer returns. Again I can close the project or continue using LabVIEW. No error is reported by LabVIEW.
4) The executables that I have built appear to function as designed and they run just fine on my machine.
5) I have gone through Windows control panel to do a Change/Verify/Re-install installation of LabVIEW to verify the installations of the files again. This is also suppose to fix the registries of the applications if there is a problem. This did nothing to fix the problem except leave me more frustrated as to what the problem is. 
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,162 Views)
This might be long shot, but might it be that the window is off-screen? Have you had a dual screen setup? It is worth to browse through your labview.ini file and look for some settings like bounds, position ...

I was missing some menus and couldn't edit them in the palette viewer. And this solved my problem.

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,158 Views)