LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot create llb

I've been developing a test application in LV 2009 SP1 (9.01) for 6 months, and have saved several versions as llb's. I'm now trying to save the final version, and it doesn't seem to be able to. A couple of times I got a message dialog "cannot create LLB", but now, it creates a 4k file with the llb extension, then LV goes unresponsive and has to be closed with the Task Manager. I will admit that I have been ignoring the Project model and working in spite of it. The application is perfectly executable and is running tests on deveices as I write. Anybody know what's happening, or what to do? Reinstall? Arrrrrgh.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,833 Views)

I would take this as a lesson not to use .llb's.  Why do you want to use them?

If you are doing it for archive purposes (you said "save several versions"), you'd be better off zipping up your project directory (even if you aren't using .lvproj Project model) as a zip file for archiving.

The risk is suppose you are able to save the .llb, but you didn't discover until much later that there was a problem with how it saved.  One error in an .llb file can corrupt your entire project thus losing all the .vi's you worked on.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,825 Views)

Thanks for the opinion, but it wasn't very helpful. I've been using the "save as llb" function to easily package and backup projects since 1992 with no problems. I should have thought of this sooner, but as soon as this test cycle is done I'll try a LV repair, as I suspect something in the install has managed to corrupt itself. My app code is working fine.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,821 Views)

Actually, how is a zip file with an error in it any better than an llb file with an error? Or are you saying zipping is error proof?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,818 Views)

Nothing is error proof.  I've never heard of anyone having problems storing stuff with .zip files.  But I've seen dozens of warnings about not using .llb files anymore throughout the discussion forums for the reason that a corruption would cause you to lose everything.

Also, think of the size of the population that uses computers and uses zip files vs. the size of the population that uses computers and uses LabVIEW and uses .llb's.  Where is the longer track record?

I actually make archives of my stuff buy copying the my entire project directory to a network drive and saving them to new folders that are named differently.  I'm sure other people would recommend suing some sort of source code control system.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,816 Views)

Ravens Fan is correct on both points. Nothing is error proof and especially llb's. And you are right that zip files can become corrupted. The solution is not to rely on either of these. It is best to use some kind of version control such as SVN. That way you can at least go back to before the corruption. Think of it as a time machine for your project.

Subversion repositories can become corrupted. But there are tools to back up the repository and I automatically back mine up every night.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,798 Views)

We've pretty much gone off-topic here, but I would NEVER develop code from inside an llb file, for the same reasons you guys are talking about. As a convenient tool to package the project to move it around, or stash a copy on the backup server, it's great. That's all I want to do, and I've never had any problem using them for that purpose. Actually, it's become  alot less convienient now that Labview has been triggered into hyper-**bleep** mode and I have to click through 170 dire warnings that the location of the files is changing. While we're off topic, do you guys know how to turn off all those effing warnings?

Returning to topic, the mechanism for creating the llb files is crashing labview, and  I think I should get that taken care of. Tried a repair to the install yesterday, but no joy.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,771 Views)

I can't believe the forum bleeps the word referring to the human exhaust port. Must make discussion of medical apps difficult.

Do  we really need to be that puritanical?

Message 8 of 10
(2,767 Views)

@bill_gilbert wrote:

We've pretty much gone off-topic here, but I would NEVER develop code from inside an llb file, for the same reasons you guys are talking about. As a convenient tool to package the project to move it around, or stash a copy on the backup server, it's great. That's all I want to do, and I've never had any problem using them for that purpose.

Ah that's good! I thought you were developing code in that you lost work because of a corrupted llb. I should have read more carefully Smiley Happy

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,753 Views)

@bill_gilbert wrote:

I can't believe the forum bleeps the word referring to the human exhaust port. Must make discussion of medical apps difficult.

Do  we really need to be that puritanical?

LOL!!!  I had to re-read your posts to understand what you were talking about.  I must admit this is the first time I read a BLEEPing post  🙂

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,742 Views)