LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can you guys help me make a flow chart of my VI?

Thankyou in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,471 Views)

Hi Stem,

can you guys help me make a flow chart of my VI?

Yes, in generel we can do this!

Why should we here?

For this special case we cannot help you since you forgot to attach a subVI "converter.vi". (Next time please use ZIP to put all needed files into just one download!)

General comments on your VI:

- Why do you have 30+ cases in your case structure - and the only difference is a simple numeric constant? Why do you duplicate the code in your VI so many times? Use either a ring for the selection of the numeric constant - or an array lookup table!

- Why do you need to convert hours, mins and seconds all on their own? Why don't you create an array of LED clusters?

- Why do you use such an "interesting" background color for (each part) your block diagram? It's hurting the eye when I have to look at a light-purple screen!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 12
(3,441 Views)

We are making an international clock, the thing is i want to have a flowchart  of my vi. The converter sub vi is now included in the zip file. Thankyou! 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,392 Views)

Hi Stem,

The converter sub vi is now included in the zip file.

Yes, thanks.

But you didn't do any of my previous suggestions (including changing that ugly background color.)

the thing is i want to have a flowchart  of my vi.

Then you need to draw it. Use a tool of your choice!

You need sybols for a loop, a comparison, and a data conversion. That's it!

(As it's your VI you surely know how the DATAFLOW is working in the VI…)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,384 Views)

but im having a hard time make a flowchart of my vi i dont know what to do and where to start 😞 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,363 Views)

Just break down each section of your code and make a block for it on your flow chart.  Sections I see are getting the current time, adjusting the time, getting hours, minutes and seconds, and finally configure the display.  It would be a lot simpler if you followed GerdW's advice in simplifying your code first.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,359 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Just break down each section of your code and make a block for it on your flow chart.  Sections I see are getting the current time, adjusting the time, getting hours, minutes and seconds, and finally configure the display.  It would be a lot simpler if you followed GerdW's advice in simplifying your code first.

Isn't this kind of backwards?  Kind of like creating a mechanical drawing from the part?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,350 Views)

WhiteStarUML can e.g. be used to draw Flow charts, if that's the question.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,327 Views)

@billko wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

Isn't this kind of backwards?  Kind of like creating a mechanical drawing from the part?

Yes it is.  But that is the situation the OP is in.

But after some sleep, the better advice would be to draw up a flow chart to show what the program SHOULD do and then update the program based on that.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,319 Views)

A Corollary to the often ignored Programming Maxim of "Write the Documentation First" is "Develop a FlowChart (or at least a firm idea in your mind of how the Program should flow) First".

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,314 Views)