LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can we do complex arithmetics in xml and access in labview?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am using LabVIEW 8.5. i have done 1 project so far in which i have used Excel for performing complex arithmetics and then reading result

through labview. I am just curious about Xml. For what purpose it can be used? is it a good alternative for excel? because i read on internet

that xml execution is faster than .doc and .xls files?  Can we use it as database for labview application?

Please help

Thank you

GauravSmiley Happy

Gaurav k
CLD Certified !!!!!
Do not forget to Mark solution and to give Kudo if problem is solved.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,807 Views)

That's not quite what XML is. XML isn't Excel. It doesn't perform calculations. It's used to share and transport data. See XML.

I'm curious as to what these "complex arithmetics" are, and why they can't be done in LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,797 Views)

Do you mean 'complex' as the technical definition, meaning it involves imaginary numbers?
Or do you mean 'complex' as in 'complicated'.

Either way, I'm almost positive it can be done in LabVIEW.

Cory K
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,784 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for replying. by'complex' i mean complicated. i know it can be done in LabVIEW but to reduce the code i did it in Excel because it comprises of lots of conditions, equations and interlocking. What do u mean by transport data? Where it can be transported?  and according to you i can not use xml file same as that of Excel file, right?

Thank you

Gaurav

Gaurav k
CLD Certified !!!!!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,775 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gak

Transport as in a format to pass data from one PC to another or one application to another.

Excel is a spreadsheet application.  It stores its data in a strictly binary file format with an extension .xls.  The latest MS Office applications can also store their data in a text based file format of XML and have extensions like .xlsx.

XML is just a format for storing data, it has nothing to do with calculations.  LabVIEW can do calculations as complicated as Excel can.  I would say it even has more complicated functions built in that the MS Excel application does not have.

Why are you concerned about an XML file?  Instead of comparing apples to oranges (i.e. file formats to applications), please tell us what kind of calculations you are trying to do.  The calculations have absolutely nothing to do with file formats.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,771 Views)

Take a look at the functions in the Mathematics menu of the function pallette.

You can run full mathscript and matlab scripts to do calculations, you can even run Python code using functions from OpenG.
There are also functions for curve fitting, linear algebra, differentiation/integration, differential equations.... you name it.

Can you tell us specifically what math you are trying to do, so we can give you better advice?

Message Edited by Cory K on 05-24-2009 01:46 PM
Cory K
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,746 Views)

hi,

thanks for replying.  I have just 8 monts experience in labview so i have not explored all functions of labview.

As you said, we can do more coplex calculations in labview. so i will try n find the way.

newaz thanks a lot

Gaurav kSmiley Happy

Gaurav k
CLD Certified !!!!!
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,726 Views)