From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't control remote panel

Hello,

I currently have an application that is web published and I would like to control it in a browser. I have gotten as far as getting the VI to be visible in a webpage but when I right-click and request control the only think that mouse clicks register on my UI is the LV toolbar (i.e. run button, run continuously, and abort). Clicking on the FP of my VI does not register. Also, the remote panel thinks that it has control since it can no longer right click and request control but the actual exe running does not indicate that anything has control of it. I can still control the exe locally even when the remote panel has requested control.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could cause this behavior?

Thanks,

Tim Sileo

Tim Sileo
RF Applications Engineer
National Instruments

You don’t stop running because you get old. You get old because you stop running. -Jack Kirk, From "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,000 Views)

Hello Tim!

I hope you're doing well.  Just a few preliminary questions to help me help you:  What version of LabVIEW are you using and what operating system are you running LabVIEW on?  Are you receiving any error messages/codes or warnings from LabVIEW?  Are you using ActiveX controllers to accomplish these tasks?  If you are interested, you may upload your VI for others and myself to take a look at!

Thank you for choosing National Instruments!

Greg S.

Sincerely,

Greg S.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,964 Views)

Hi Greg,

I'm doing well thanks. Here's answers to your questions:

1) Using LV2010 running on Windows 7

2) No error messages or codes on either the remote panel or the application itself

3) No ActiveX controllers in my application, just the simple publish to web tool.

Note: My VI is compiled into an exe and I include the html published page when putting it on the target PC. I can view the exe's FP on the remote panel from both localhost and a second PC but after requesting control of FP nothing happens. I can click on the toolbar buttons from remote panel but none of my FP controls/indicators do anything.

I won't be able to post any of the code at this time so if you have any suggestions on things to try I would like to do that first before modifying code so that it can be posted.

Thank you,

Tim S.

Tim Sileo
RF Applications Engineer
National Instruments

You don’t stop running because you get old. You get old because you stop running. -Jack Kirk, From "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,955 Views)

Hello Tim!

I'm looking at similar issues from past users.  This VI is web published correct?  Are you able to use it appropriately through a web browser, through LabVIEW, neither or both?

Please let me know!  If you have some sample code that illustrates the problem, that would really help!

Greg S.

Sincerely,

Greg S.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,923 Views)

Hi Greg,

I thought about it some more and what I'm ultimately testing is controlling an EXE through the remote panel. I have not tested controlling the VI so I don't know whether that works or not. I can provide the EXE but won't be able to provide the source code.

I've attached a zip file of the application. In the data directory is the TSG.html published page. I put the html page in "C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\LabVIEW Run-Time\www" on the PC which I'm running the exe on. Then I run the exe and open a web page on another PC to http://<exe_PC_IP>:8000/TSG.html. The page loads fine and then I request control of the remote panel. Like mentioned previously, after requesting control I can only press the abort toolbar button and no clicks on the Front Panel do anything. The application can still be controlled from the PC it's running on even when the remote panel has requested control.

You can test this out without hardware (since I only control the hardware once the start button is pressed) but if you have a PXIe-5442 lying around then you'll be able to fully run the EXE. Just make sure it is named 5442_0 in MAX.

Thanks,

Tim S.

Tim Sileo
RF Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,916 Views)

Hello Tim:

I'd love to test this for you but unfortunately it is a liability for us to test any executable files.  I would be happy to run through your VI if you feel comfortable with that, otherwise, I will continue researching.

Thank you very much for your understanding!

Greg S.

Sincerely,

Greg S.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,911 Views)

Hello Tim:

Can you tell me which web browser you have tested this VI with?  Are you able to create a simple VI that replicates this behaviour.  Are you using the web browser on the computer that you are developing from?

Thank you very much!

Greg S.

Sincerely,

Greg S.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,899 Views)

Hi Greg,

With firefox and IE I have the same behavoir on the PC running the exe and on the remote PC. I've used both Firefox and IE on the computer that I'm developing the VI on and it does not work there either.

I created a simple VI with a big ol' stop button and that's it. Then I published it to web and  ran the VI. I can successfully push the button with that VI. I also compiled that VI into an executable and got the remote panel working with that successfully. So, I'm not sure what's up with the application that I'm trying to get working...

Tim Sileo
RF Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,875 Views)