From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can sit 4.0 be with RT cRIO 9014

Hey

I'm trying to get a simulink model to work at a rt controller cRIO 9014 with fpga cRIO 9104.
I have installed LabVIEW 8.5 with RT-modul 8.5 and NI-RIO 2.3.1
My simulink model works when i run it on the pc, both as a simulation enviroment and whit the .dll file when i tab Driver VI on local host.

when i choose rt target it comes up with the cRIO i'm using, and i can deploy the VI, as the sine wave tutorial are saying,
but afterwords nothing happens. The fiels where it should say running are saying connecting...
and nothing more happens.

have I overlooked something or can my software not work with my hardware?

thanks
DK_bp 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,762 Views)

Hi DK_bp

The OS on the 9014 and 9012 cRIO controllers is VxWorks.  This means that you cannot run a DLL in these controllers.  That is why when you run the sinewave example nothing works.  For these VxWorks controllers you need to convert your model into an .OUT file instead of a .DLL file. 

If you want to run SIT in a 9014 controller you will need the following things:

1.- A VxWorks compiler -  Developing Shared Libraries for the cRIO-901x and Other VxWorks Targets

2.- LabVIEW SIT 4.0

3.- Some extra files to enable support for VxWorks.  SIT 4.0 as shipped doesn't have full support for VxWorks.  You will need some files that we (NI) can give you.

Do you have a Service Request number or an e-mail address I can use to contact you directly?

Thanks

Ricardo Santa Olalla

Systems Engineering

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,749 Views)
Hey Ricardo SR
I have a ref. number going with the danish support team about this
(Reference#654192), Eirukur Runarsson.

I will take a look at this in the mornig, when I meet in.

but your velcome to contact me directly about this.

Thanks
DK_bp

Message Edited by Support on 04-21-2008 04:19 PM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,737 Views)

Hi Ricardo,

We have just had one of your field engineers come in today and show us the cRIO. We are interested in the 9014, hence the VxWorks Platform. We asked him about the compatibility of Simulink, SIT and VxWorks and he didn't know of any problems. From reading this post it does not seem very straight forward compared to using the ETS platform.

He did mention that around August there may be a new version of LabView on the way out. Would you know if in this new version if the integration between Simulink, SIT and VxWorks is any smoother.

Many Thanks

Alex

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,609 Views)

Hi Alex,

The only reason why support for VxWorks is not as straightforward as ETS is because you would need to install a patch.  Installing this patch only requires to copy some files into three different folders.

This patch will be included in the next release of SIT so the only other thing you will still need will be the compiler for VxWorks, which you can download for free from our web in case you don't have already one.

Once you have the patch installed, compiling the model into an .OUT file (shared library for VxWorks, instead of DLL) is the same process as compiling the model into a DLL.

The only difference between using SIT for ETS and SIT for VxWorks is if you want to use the SIT Connection Manager (a wizard that generates LabVIEW code for you).  SIT Connection Manager reads a list of parameters and signals from the model DLL.  Since an OUT file cannot be read in a Windows computer, the SIT Connection Manager cannot get this list from an OUT file.  To solve this problem, we just give a model DLL to SIT Connection Manager so that it can get this list and do its magic.  Keep in mind that the OUT file is still what gets deployed and used by the VxWorks target and not the DLL.

Having to provide a DLL to the SIT Connection manager is the only hurdle you will have if you want to use SIT in a VxWorks target and only if you want to use the SIT Connection Manager.  If you want to discuss this a bit more, please let me know if it is OK for me to access your e-mail address from your Discussion Forum account and I'll contact you directly to discuss further this or any other question you might have.

Ricardo

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,581 Views)

Hi Ricardo SR,

I have the same case as DK_bp.

How kann I  get the extra files to enable support for VxWorks ?

My email adress is : mehdi.meddeb@mytum.de

And is there any easy solution to convert the mdl file into an .OUT file ?

Thank you very much !!!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,266 Views)
Hi Jarod,

If you have SIT 5.0 or later you don't need any extra files. 

If you need the patch you can find it at:

ftp://ftp.ni.com/outgoing/Jarod3391/

The SIT VxWorks v_3.1.zip has the patch.  Inside the folder there is a Readme with instructions on how to install it.
The test.zip has an example that you can use to test it.

These are the general instructions::

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""'
To use SIT 4.0 on VxWorks you will need three things:

1.- VxWorks compiler.
2.- SIT 4.0
3.- The sit_vxworks patch.

VxWorks Compiler:
If you don’t have a VxWorks compiler you can download one for free from ni.com.  Here is the link:

Developing Shared Libraries for the cRIO-901x and Other VxWorks Targets

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5694

Please download the compiler version 6.1 since that is the one for LV 8.5

All you need to do is to extract the content of the ZIP folder into a folder called c:\gccVxWorks and run a bat file.  The instructions on where to extract it and how to use it are in a readme file inside the ZIP file.

NOTE:  The readme file included in the free compiler zip folder says that you need to unzip the content into the c:\vxworks61gccdist folder that you need to create. This is wrong because one of the steps you need to do to get the compiler to run is to run the setup-gcc.bat file included in the zip file.  This bat file creates the necessary environment variables to allow MATLAB and other programs to find the compiler.  This bat file sets the environment variables to look for the compiler in a folder called gccVxWorks.  Said this, instead of unzipping your zip file into the c:\vxworks61gccdist unzip it to the c:\gccVxWorks folder.

How to modify the environment variables yourself - Recommended:

To modify yourself the environment variables go to Start>> Right click on My Computer and select Properties>>Advanced>> Environment Variables and then under System Variables:

1.     Look for variables Path.  Click on edit and paste the following lines at the end of the variable value.

C:\gccVxWorks\WindRiver\gnu\3.3.2-vxworks61\x86-win32\bin;C:\gccVxWorks\WindRiver\workbench-2.3\x86-win32\bin;C:\gccVxWorks\WindRiver\setup\x86-win32\bin;C:\gccVxWorks\WindRiver\setup\x86-win32\bin;

2.     Create a new variable with the name WIND_BASE and assign it the value:

C:\gccVxWorks\WindRiver\vxworks-6.1

3.     Create a new variable with the name WIND_HOME and assign it the value:

C:\gccVxWorks\WindRiver

4.     Click OK and reboot your computer.

SIT_Vxworks Patch

Please make sure you read the attached readme for instructions on how to install the necessary files.

Once you have installed these files you will be able to open MAX and install SIT on the VxWorks target and compile the model into an .out

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Ricardo
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,243 Views)

Hello Ricardo,

I know it's toooooo late, but I want say thank you very much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mehdi.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,130 Views)

Hello Mehdi,

You are welcome.  Did you get it working? 

Ricardo

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,128 Views)

Hallo Ricardo,

yes ! Thank you again 🙂

now I have other Problems concerning Simulation Interface Toolkit  mappings.

When I try to map large arrays (<10001x2 double>,...)  to Simulink constants, I get an overflow Failure 62. (see attachment, sorry it's in German).

Now I have following questions: 

- How can I avoid this overflow Failure 62 !

- Can you explain me what is the difference between SIT In/Outs and normal Simulink In/Outs ?

- How can I prepare CAN Data (Variables) in the Simulink Model (.out File) ; what kind of Output Variables I must have, to do CAN Mappings.  (I have the CAN Module NI 9853 with cRIO 9014).

Thank you again !

Mehdi.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,126 Views)