LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can labview do this? "database action"

Good day!

I have not much knowledge about labview but here is the situation:

at my work we use a test-sytem to functionally test our PCB's (Using NI teststand, combinated with a DAQ card (executed by labview VI's).

After the testsequence, the programm writes testdata to an SQL database and gives a (pass / fail) result.

We want to extend the testsequence, but before doing lots of learning, i want to ask if it is possible to let labview VI's do this.

We perform 2 tests (1 with PCB without batteries) and (1 with PCB with batteries soldered to it).

The testsequence starts by scanning the individual serial number of the PCBA.

what i want to ask if labview can do this:

i want the testsequence to read the database and check if for the scanned serial number both fully performed testreports are presnt and when there is a "passed" result for both reports, then give a green screen with the Result of this check. 

i hope i described it clearly and want to thank you in advance for the help.

Best regards,

Patrick Zimmermann

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(800 Views)

I think LabVIEW Pro comes with the LabVIEW Database Toolkit.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(784 Views)

The answer to your question is yes. I am currently working on a LabVIEW to SQL database VI for a client. You can have the LV vi connect to, search for, read and display the pertinent information you are looking for by using the appropriate queries and executions in your VI. As Bill stated, the database connectivity toolkit is your friend and provides an easy avenue with which to pursue your goal. There are several videos available online as well dealing with LabVIEW and SQL databases.

This guys videos are well informed and easy to understand.

UKTAG#4: SQL and SQLite Databases in LabVIEW - YouTube

Hopefully some of this will help you along your way

Creig Mills
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

Message 3 of 6
(765 Views)

Thank you for your replies, i am glad there are possibilities 🙂

i will check the database connectivity toolkit and the videos! 

Many thanks! 🙂

Greetings, patrick

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(759 Views)

@Pzimmermann wrote:

i want the testsequence to read the database and check if for the scanned serial number both fully performed testreports are presnt and when there is a "passed" result for both reports, then give a green screen with the Result of this check. 

i hope i described it clearly and want to thank you in advance for the help.

That's all very globally described, but many of us do stuff like this on a daily basis.

You're basically asking: "can I write data to, read data from, and analyze data form an SQL database". Answer: "yes".

Message 5 of 6
(756 Views)

@Pzimmermann wrote:

I have not much knowledge about labview but here is the situation:

@Pzimmermann wrote:

We want to extend the testsequence, but before doing lots of learning, i want to ask if it is possible to let labview VI's do this.

As others have said the answer to your question is yes, this can be done with LabVIEW.

I see a contradiction in these statements, though. It would appear that you are looking at this as a one off situation and talking about investing in learning LabVIEW for just this application. If that is the case then I would not recommend this course of action. It would be more cost effective to get a third party to add the functionality. If you think that learning LabVIEW would bring other benefits to the company, and you have time to invest prior to the deadline, then learning LabVIEW might be appropriate.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(719 Views)