From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can i implement RS422 protocol using 7831 RIO card

please tell if i can implement RS422 protocol using NI FPGA card. Also please help me on how to do the same...
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,333 Views)
You can definitely implement the RS-422 protocol on the FPGA card. Check out the RS-232 on FPGA example on DevZone. RS-422 may be a bit different than RS-232, but not very much. The main thing you will have to deal with are the voltage levels of the signal. The FPGA DIO are single-ended 3.3V TTL, while RS-422 is a differential voltage signal. So to have a true RS-422 interface you will need to add a signal translator between the FPGA card and your RS-422 device(s).

Christian L
authored by
Christian L, CLA
Systems Engineering Manager - Automotive and Transportation
NI - Austin, TX

Message 2 of 4
(4,332 Views)

I am trying to implement RS422 using the FPGA on a NI cRIO 9401.  I modified the FPGA Serial Example mentioned in this post.  Using a custom PCB board designed in house we take the TTL serial output and input from the cRIO module and translated into differential 5V RS422.

If I loop back the transmit and receive on the PCB board I can send and receive a text message ok.

But when I try to connect the PCB board to PCI-422 card by connecting the transmit positive to the receive positive and transmit minus to the receive minus, the text I read back is incorrect and sometimes looks like nonprintable characters. I checked the pulses that both ends generate with an oscilloscope and they look similar. 

Do you have any suggestions? 

Regards,

Russell

Director of Engineering
G Systems, www.gsystems.com
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer
Certified Professional Instructor
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,987 Views)
Hey Russell,

One thing you could try to verify that you are encoding the characters correctly would be to write a series of characters from the PCI-422 to an oscilloscope, and then to write the same sequence from your 9401. This way, you could check that they are the same and that you have not made a mistake on both the transmit and receive end of the FPGA.

Best regards,
-Sam F, DAQ Marketing Manager
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,959 Views)