LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can i edit my program while the program is running?

Hello Joe,

in fact it was a Fractal Calculator... The user selectes an algorithm and the calc routine calls the appropriate routine.

Best regards,
GerdW
Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(580 Views)
And even using the unsupported properties, I have yet to find one that will let you change something on a running or reserved VI. It's the compiling that blocks it. Any chage would require the VI to be recompiled and that only happens when you click the run arrow.

I was messing with a few yesterday, and you have to do everything from a calling VI so the one your manipulating isn't running or reserved.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
Message 12 of 13
(459 Views)
Hi Dusty,

I think I know what you are asking for because I used to be able to do that using "debug" to step code inpect a memory location, poke a new value, proceed...

That simply can not be done in LV.

The other ideas being dicussed here are talking about dynamically loading and unloading VI, and editing those VI when they are not running. That is were Ed's comments come into play.

I seldom miss that feature when developing. When I do miss it, it is because i have watched a long VI execute and get close to the end when I realize "my final index is off by one!" and I am tempted to "fix it". NO CAN DO! In that case I use breakpoints and stategically place constants.

Trying to help,

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(440 Views)