From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can LabVIEW add echo effect to input sound?

Hello, 

i tried to search about this but i could not find answer. how can I add echo effect in labview and merge it with the audio file i'm importing to my circuit? is there specific function i can use ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,618 Views)

Hi Ahmed,

@Ahmed.asd wrote:

how can I add echo effect in labview and merge it with the audio file i'm importing to my circuit? is there specific function i can use ?

To add some echo to a sound you need add a delayed and filtered/modified copy of your sound.

LabVIEW comes with functions for signal filtering and you can easily delay waveforms! (Waveforms are a special LabVIEW datatype supporting starttime and sampleinterval…)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(1,613 Views)

There are no preset audio effect functions available in LabVIEW.

You should study some digital signal processing (DSP) theory to understand how standard audio effects are created digitally.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(1,585 Views)

To add to the other replies, have a look at this project perhaps for some ideas and inspiration. 

https://github.com/dataflowg/dataflow-dj

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
Message 4 of 8
(1,571 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

To add some echo to a sound you need add a delayed and filtered/modified copy of your sound.

LabVIEW comes with functions for signal filtering and you can easily delay waveforms! (Waveforms are a special LabVIEW datatype supporting starttime and sampleinterval…)

the approach Gerd described is ilustrated in this example:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Code/Adding-a-Flanger-Effect-to-an-Audio-File/ta-p/3533795

However, the example is about a flanger not an echo effect.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(1,538 Views)

@alexderjuengere wrote:

@GerdW wrote:

the approach Gerd described is ilustrated in this example:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Code/Adding-a-Flanger-Effect-to-an-Audio-File/ta-p/3533795

However, the example is about a flanger not an echo effect.

Granted I haven't looked at the code you mentioned but... A Flanger IS a type of "echo" effect...

You delay a copy of the signal but not enough to cause too much of a discernable echo.

As you mix it back in you modulate the sample clock of the delayed signal.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(1,527 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

Granted I haven't looked at the code you mentioned but... A Flanger IS a type of "echo" effect...

You delay a copy of the signal but not enough to cause too much of a discernable echo.

As you mix it back in you modulate the sample clock of the delayed signal.

oh, I honestly didn't know that ...  I might have mixed up echo, flanger and reverb ....

alexderjuengere_0-1641851420046.pngalexderjuengere_1-1641851445202.png

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(1,499 Views)

Well all those stomp boxes (reverb, echo, flanger, chorus) were all based on the same analog delay line IC.

There's just slight differences like range of delay time, feeback, clock modulation and what you are able to adjust..

I used to love playing with the the old SAD1024 delay line IC when I was young.

Did you know the "Flanger" is called that because they originally created the effect during overdubbing. The recording engineer would literally hold his finger on the flange of the tape reel to modulate the pitch of the dub-track.

Here's a pretty good overview of how many common effects are produced

========================
========================
Message 8 of 8
(1,493 Views)