From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I have non-sequential values in menu ring?

Solved!
Go to solution

I am creating some menu rings that are meant to replace what was a hexadecimal numeric field.

The register definition itself is a longstanding thing within our FPGA, and out of my hands.  So let's say its a 2 bit field defined as follows:

b00: unused

b01: CRC-ON

b10: unused

b11: CRC-OFF

So I want my menu ring to only have the options CRC-ON and CRC-OFF, but so far the only way I see to do this is to also create the 2 unused fields, because I can't edit the values manually within the menu ring properties.  I don't want 2 'blank options' to show up on the menu ring.

I also tried the enum ring but it too wanted things sequential.  Do I need to use a different type of control, or do I need to add code that translates the value chosen in the menu ring to the actual value I want?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,442 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bmishoe

You should be able to only have the two options you want in the menu ring. Right-clicking on the ring control and choosing "Edit Items...", you should get a dialog with a table of Items and Values. If you deselect the checkbox for "Sequential values", you can then edit the values associated with those items.

ringitems.png

Donovan
Message 2 of 4
(2,432 Views)

haha, how in the world did I miss a box that says "sequential values"?  wow.

thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,421 Views)

You can even play with the display format to make that bitfield "Look Right:

Capture1.PNG

Although it would be kind of nice if the item editor respected the choice and updated dynamically when the display format changes.  (It only bugs develoers- Users never see the page)

Capture.PNG

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,415 Views)