LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

camera: detection of objects

Hello,

I have an camera and I can have the image in streaming on a block diagram in Labview.  That I want to do is to send a message when an object found in front of the camera. The application is for example: I put the camera on a car robot which could be control by labview. The robots come on on a line and I put an object in front of the car robots and its stops immediatly. It's the camera which detect there is an object.

I believe that's possible. Have you ideas or something on I can work?

Thanks  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,675 Views)

I would recommend reading some material from the NI site regarding vision systems etc.  You can do as you propose and i have done it although there is usually a series of processing techniques to do on said picture.  Things like region of Interest, thresholding the image, finding edges, masking etc can all be utilised.  Just typing in vision on the NI site brings up 100's of resources.

here is just one using the vision builder

http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/3DF182BAE9365D82862575FB006B440C

Craig

Message Edited by craigc on 19--02-2010 12:35 PM
LabVIEW 2012
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,671 Views)

Generally speaking though here is a process example

Make sure lighting is right so that you get a good contrast between target and background.

Threshold image in some manner.

define a Region of Interest

Find edges of object by means of contrast threshold within Region of Interest.

As expected?

etc

etc

Craig

LabVIEW 2012
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,666 Views)
If you can post some images it will help a lot. I just want to add  a few points to what craig has suggested. Keep the processing as simple as possible. If a threshold-->Particle analysis can solve it then do it since you are into something really time critical..
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,658 Views)

Thanks for your responses I studie that

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,643 Views)

Strongly agree with muks.

The less processing to do the better.  Good lighting goes a long way towards this.  If you need fast process times then good lighting = faster shutter speeds etc etc.  Dont be too daunted though, the NI tools and processing blocks can get you up and runniung very quickly 🙂

LabVIEW 2012
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,622 Views)

http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/3DF182BAE9365D82862575FB006B440C

Why I can't access to this page. It says:

Error

You are not authorized to view this document

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,790 Views)