LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

call list

Solved!
Go to solution

Now this is a very simple question and I'm sorry if this is a dumb one, but I am trying to debug a subVI in my code and everywhere that I've read online has said to check the "call list" to see the list of all callers. I can't find a "call list" anywhere for the life of me. Can somebody please tell me how to access the call list? Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,178 Views)

It is a property node.

callers.png

Note that it will only return the name if the VI is in memory - so make sure you load your "main" VI first.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,165 Views)

Perhaps the function you're looking for is "call chain"?

2014-10-16 14_46_52-Functions.png

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,164 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

Perhaps the function you're looking for is "call chain"?

2014-10-16 14_46_52-Functions.png

The problem is that I have a call chain included in the subVI and for some reason it is not calling what I would like it to call, so I want to bring up the "call list" to see all of the callers. I will include the vi so that you guys can see what I'm talking about. This vi wasn't written by me, but I'm trying to debug it. From the call chain, it should be calling the name of the main vi that it a subvi of, but I inserted a probe while running the subvi and "call chain" returns its own name. I just want to see if that's the only thing that it is calling or not. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,156 Views)

@BowenM wrote:

It is a property node.

callers.png

Note that it will only return the name if the VI is in memory - so make sure you load your "main" VI first.

Thank you. I will check that out, but I don't think that it's what I'm looking for? This is straight from the labview beginner's manual: "When you pause a subVI, the Call list pull-down menu on the toolbar lists the chain of callers from the top-level VI down to the subVI. This list is not the same list you see when you selecct Browse>This VI's Callers, which lists all calling VIs regardless of whether they are currently running. Use the Call list menu to determine the current instance of the subVI if the block diagram contains more than one instance. When you select a VI from the Call list menu, its block diagram opens, and LabVIEW highlights the current instance of the subVI."

Message 5 of 8
(3,155 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jmejiagusmer

Capture.PNG

That ring only shows if:

Paused And Not top level

It is populated with the list from the call-chain and selecting a member of the call list will navigate you to the function paused on the callers BD.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 6 of 8
(3,144 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Capture.PNG

That ring only shows if:

Paused And Not top level

It is populated with the list from the call-chain and selecting a member of the call list will navigate you to the function paused on the callers BD.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,133 Views)

@jmejiagusmer wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

That ring only shows if:

Paused And Not top level

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.

No problem!  It is a usefull debugging tool and, one that is often unnoticed.  I, as opposed to the more confussed responders to this post, often have to debug code written by other developers.  Certainly, I don't write bugs myself!Smiley LOL

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,119 Views)