cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calculating the dot product

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

hope everyone is doing great! I have a question on a problem I was asked to do. It says i have to calculate the inner dot product, so I'm wondering if I did it right? The constraints are that one way is to do ite with only discrete functions from the numeric palette, and the other only matrix functions from the linear algebra palette. So I'm just hoping this is the correct way to do it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,469 Views)

Back for more homework help, I see.

Hint: Compare it to the definition of the dot product. What does it mean when you multiply two arrays? What does LabVIEW actually do?

Have you tried putting values in and comparing the result to doing the dot product by hand?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,457 Views)

yep back for help 😃

anyway yes, I used an online calculator to comute the values and I get the same results as I did on labview. I'm just wondering if the way I did it met the contraints.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,444 Views)

Well, what do you think? The requirements were:

1. Implement using discrete functions.
  2. Implement using matric functions.

Did you do both? Seems like it to me. Although I think you can just get away with 2 arrays instead of 4 and simply pass the same X and Y arrays to both implementations, instead of entering the same data into two different arrays.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,431 Views)

yeah I was just checking for reassurance since the directions seems ambiguous since i can easily just use the dot product vi from the linear algebra palette. I guess I was just questioning what is the point of this problem. Seems to easy XD

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,425 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LABVIEW321

Because in the dark ages we didn't have the nice, convenient linear algebra functions, so you had to know how to do it "manually". That's the point of most homework problems. For you to understand the concept so you know what it actually means, and the implementation so you know how to do it yourself.

Just like in the dark ages we didn't have Google, so we used these buildings called libraries. And you looked things up in these great big cabinets full of drawers that had hundreds of cards in them. And you had to know the Dewey Decimal system.

Message 6 of 7
(5,417 Views)

great answer, and great response 😃

I can't really imagined living in those days, but I'm thankful for what i have.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,414 Views)