LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calculate time from seconds, day of year, and year

Solved!
Go to solution

I've got a data file where they saved three columns, seconds since midnight, day of year, and year.  I'm trying to create a LabVIEW timestamp from these three numbers.  From seconds since midnight, I can create sec, minutes, and hours.  If I feed these into a time cluster with Day of Year and Year, the output timestamp is 0.  Doesn't work.  Although it has a Day of Year input element, apparently the Date/Time to Seconds function requires day of month and month to work.

The only obvious solution I can imagine at this point is to calculate month and day from day of year, which would involve a month lookup table and a leap year check.

Any clever solutions I'm missing?

DaveT

-------------------------------------------------------------
David Thomson Original Code Consulting
www.originalcode.com
National Instruments Alliance Program Member
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified Embedded Systems Developer
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,393 Views)

The day of week and day of year can be 0 and it will still work.  But the month and day of month are required.  I guess you would have to look up the month and day from day of year with a leap year check.

22218i4AAE1E1089238192

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,384 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dave_Thomson

Dave,

I found a Julian to Georgian date here.

Message 3 of 7
(6,383 Views)

Thanks, Dennis!  I did do a search, but didn't find that.  I was hoping there was an easy trick like that.

Cheers,

DaveT

David Thomson Original Code Consulting
www.originalcode.com
National Instruments Alliance Program Member
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified Embedded Systems Developer
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,374 Views)

I have another way, the DBL conversion VI converts time to a "numeric value" that started counting since the year 1901.  Now you can do some math in a seperate VI to determin how many "numeric values" is 1 year, 1 day, 1 second.  Then do your math to add up all "numeric values" and then convert your DBL to timestamp again.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,664 Views)

@Mattjk wrote:

I have another way, the DBL conversion VI converts time to a "numeric value" that started counting since the year 1901.  Now you can do some math in a seperate VI to determin how many "numeric values" is 1 year, 1 day, 1 second.  Then do your math to add up all "numeric values" and then convert your DBL to timestamp again.

This can get a bit complicated, for example make sure you take care of leap years and such.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,649 Views)

You don't need to worry about a leap year doing it this way.

Example:

Seconds since midnight: say 60

Day of year: say 222 (60seconds x 60 minutes x 24 hours) X 222= 19180800

Year: say 2014 (Jan. 1st 2014 at exactly 12:00am) (using code) = 3471397200

Each year after = 31536000

So just add all the numbers together and use the number to timestamp VI in the timing pallet to convert back to a date.

There is a little bit of work with the year because you can't assume that

Year 1900 to 2014 is 114 years which is

114 X 31536000

First calcualte an offset value from December 31st 1903 at 7pm to any year that starts with Jan.1st at 12am.

Then add Years after (multiplied by 31536000)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,625 Views)